Our pharmacists practice in a variety of different settings including the Emergency Department, the OR, Clean Room, Cardiovascular Center (hybrid of OR and inpatient), outpatient infusion areas, as well as decentralized first-dose inpatient satellites. They provide pharmaceutical care services which include but are not limited to medication profile reviews, pharmacokinetic dosing, anemia management, anticoagulation management patient teaching and clinical order verification. Pharmacist responsibilities are focused to ensure optimal effectiveness and safety of medications used throughout the institution as well as providing accurate and timely drug information to members of the healthcare team. Core functions include:
Unit Based Responsibilities:
Pharmacists provide direct patient care which includes attending multidisciplinary rounds and working with members of the healthcare team to assure appropriateness of therapy. Other activities include reviewing medication profiles, patient counseling, pharmacokinetic dosing, anticoagulation management and physician/nurse education.
Pharmacists serve as preceptors for Pharm.D. students on a variety of rotations including medication reconciliation and direct patient care Introductory Pharmacy Patient Experiences (IPPEs) during the third year and institutional and unit based hospital practice clerkship rotations during the fourth year.
Order Verification/ Profile Review:
Pharmacists review, clarify and process medication orders in a timely manner while assuring appropriateness of therapy.
Pharmacists provide input and suggestions for process improvements to improve the care that is provided to our patients. Activities include researching opportunities and initiating action plans with follow through until successful implementation of the improvement.
Supervision of Work Area:
Pharmacists provide functional supervision of technical staff working in their area including completion of job assignments and assuring adherence to institutional policies and procedures.
For more information about the UMHS Department of Pharmacy Services, see our annual report at: https://www.medicine.umich.edu/dept/pharmacy/pharmacy-annual-report
- Education/ Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy or RPh with commensurate experience.
- Current license to practice pharmacy in the State of Michigan (including a Controlled Substance license), or eligibility to become licensed within 90 days of employment start date.
- Ability to perform a variety of manual dexterity movements, including keyboarding and IV preparation, actively participating in codes. Fluency in reading, writing and speaking English.
- Completion of a PGY1 residency and/or BCPS certification.
- Recent inpatient clinical hospital practice experience, including IV admixture, participation in multi-disciplinary rounds, and direct patient care and education, with a range of medications and patient populations similar to those at UMHHC (may include clerkships, APPE rotations or residency rotations).
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.