How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position and
- Include your current or ending salary
Starting salary will vary depending on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the senior level salary range of $67,692 - $96,800 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the senior level expectation. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser experienced applicants will be reviewed at an intermediate level salary range of $56,538 - $73,500.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for a DevOps Engineer Senior/Intermediate working within Network Security Operations (NSO). The Network Security Operations team supports, configures and administers firewalls, intrusion detection systems (IDS) and intrusion prevention systems (IPS) to monitor, support and protect enterprise-wide systems including Human Resources, Student Administration, Teaching & Learning and Finance, as well as providing for in-building firewall services for campus units.
The DevOps Engineer will use up-to-date software development practices to improve operations and streamline processes. This position works with other operations and development staff to implement new integrations between systems and creating new systems where needed.
The selected candidate will report to the Network & Security Operations Manager in the ITS Infrastructure Services. As part of a growing, high performance team with expanding responsibilities, the candidate will have the opportunity to work in a very collaborative and dynamic environment to assess and improve the security posture of the University’s most sensitive and critical assets and provide security services for university systems.
Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills via email, letters and in person to teams and customers. This role requires someone who can work under minimal supervision, proactively anticipates and resolves problems, has experience in a role providing excellent customer service, the ability to follow documented procedures and standards in a consistent manner and has the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
While not limited to the list below, a DevOps Engineer Senior for the ITS organization within the University of Michigan, can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Operating, administering and helping to set the technical direction of network firewalls at the University of Michigan. Provide support of firewalls including installation, configuration, testing, troubleshooting and documenting the firewall infrastructure. Research, analyze and resolve complex problems, providing root-cause analysis and in-depth technical support to enterprise LAN/WAN/Firewall systems. Lead firewall service restoration and troubleshooting efforts. When necessary, escalate incidents with vendors to resolve issues relating to service performance, functionality and availability.
- Act as a technical resource on a team to build, maintain and update firewall infrastructure to support the university’s network security efforts which includes setting technical requirements for firewall platforms, drafting requirements for requests for proposals (RFP), facilitating and setting up meetings, collaborating with ITS teams such as network engineering, security architects and network operations to plan and execute firewall architecture.
- Provide recommendations, propose and implement system and hardware patches and upgrades to maintain current stable versions. In support of rule base and vendor platform migrations and upgrades, convert existing functionality and corresponding settings to new versions, vendors and platforms. Ensure all business owners and stakeholders are aware of and support proposed changes to the system.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills when providing advanced technical support, mentorship, training and guidance to technical support staff, resulting in staff and teams using and implementing the latest procedures and best practices to accomplish tasks. Work with vendors and internal groups to address issues and determine upgrade options to meet demands.
- Network Monitoring and Protection – Detect and prevent intrusions using IDS/IPS tools; Implement firewall policies and monitor effectiveness.
- Provide tier 3 expertise and participate as a subject matter expert in the analysis and design of new enterprise systems and services. Establish subject matter expertise in Checkpoint, Cisco, VMware and Palo Alto firewall platforms and Tipping Point intrusion prevention systems.
- Stay current with DevOps, software development and information security best practices and supporting technologies, as well as the threat environment and relevant advancements in technologies. This can include on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING / STRATEGIC THINKING: Demonstrated ability to effectively solve complex problems, using analysis, creative thinking and input from others to improve processes, solve complex problems and develop effective strategies.
- FLEXIBILITY / ADAPTABILITY to CHANGE: Understanding and accepting the need for change, cooperating in implementation and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives.
- BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS / INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Respects diversity; demonstrates respect for the opinion of others; values each person's contribution to the team. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Maintains agreed upon levels of confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or the equivalent combination of education, certification and experience
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience as a DevOps Engineer or similar role in an IT support environment, with responsibilities including information and workflow analysis, confidentiality, prioritization, analytical thinking and the ability to work independently
- Experience with programming in Python
- Experience with *nix shell or PowerShell
- Experience with Git and source code management
- Experience applying security related technologies, practices or services
- Experience with using APIs to integrate systems
- System administration background with Microsoft or *nix environments
- Solid understanding of modern distributed system design and implementation such as REST, JSON and RPC
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, software design
- Solid understanding of fundamental Operating System and TCP/IP Networking concepts
- Solid understanding of fundamental information security concepts including: Authentication, Authorization, Audit, Encryption, Firewalls
- Demonstrated ability to produce understandable and compelling reports and presentations based on the analysis of complex data sets
- Experience designing, documenting and implementing process improvements including driving process adoption and continual improvement
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, collaborate across functions and influence individuals at many levels
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple objects with competing demands
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in technical concepts via email, letters and in person to teams and customers
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success completing tasks within established deadlines
- Solid understanding of fundamental security related practices including: Risk Management, Incident Response, Vulnerability Management, Penetration Testing, IDS/IPS, System and Application Hardening, Identity and Access Management, Security Information and Event Management, Firewall management
- Experience with firewall systems security
- Experience with continuous integrations tools (e.g. Jenkins, Travis CI)
- Experience assessing the security architecture of proposed IT solutions
- Experience with software security assessment (e.g. threat modeling and code review)
- Solid understanding of security controls for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Networking platforms
- Solid understanding of the security implications associated with cloud-based solutions
- Solid understanding of mobile device security issues, strategies and controls
- Experience securing virtualized environments and cloud-based solutions including AWS, Azure and GCP
- Extensive system administration background with Microsoft, Macintosh and *nix environments
- Detailed understanding of the assurance implications of various regulatory and compliance requirements including PCI and HIPAA
- Demonstrated success working across organizational boundaries
- Networking and/or Security certifications such as CCNP and CISSP
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required.
- May require travel to various location on and off university campus.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan was featured as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For" in the 2017 Chronicle of Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 3 by Money Magazine’s “Best Colleges for Your Money 2017/2018" which evaluated 711 higher education institutions on 27 factors within three broad categories: educational quality, affordability and alumni success.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.