How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required; the cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume. The letter should:
- specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
- outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position; and
- include your current or ending salary.
**NOTE: This is a full-time; term-limited position ending after three years with the intent to re-evaluate for potential extension.**
This position may be filled at the Intermediate FLSA exempt level ($56,538 - $80,850) or at the FLSA nonexempt Associate level ($47,476 - $64,900). Starting salary and position level are dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The requirements listed below reflect that of the Intermediate level, but applicants with lesser experience are also encouraged to apply.
The Advanced Research Computing - Technology Services (ARC-TS) organization at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity to employ a High Performance Computing (HPC) System Administrator Intermediate/Associate.
The selected candidate will be responsible to design, build, operate and support research computing platforms in support of university researchers in the cloud and on premise. These platforms can consist of High Performance Computing (HPC) Linux clusters, High Throughput Computing, monitoring/logging systems (Elasticsearch, Graphite) with a focus on containerized/virtualized systems (Cloud, OpenStack, Docker). The selected candidate will work closely with ARC-TS team members with input from unit support staff to create the next generation of research computing infrastructure, both on-campus and in the cloud. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to be a part of very dynamic team to meet the changing needs for building and supporting new and innovative systems to meet to the needs of faculty.
For more information about ARC-TS, please visit our website: http://arc-ts.umich.edu/ and for more information about Information and Technology Services (ITS), please visit our website: http://its.umich.edu/.
While not an exhaustive list below, the selected candidate should expect the following key responsibilities:
Operating System Support
- System Patches
- Kernel Modules Configuration
- Node provisioning and de-provisioning
- Create and maintain documentation
User support for systems related issues
- Installing and debugging software
- Assisting users in troubleshooting batch compute jobs
- Investigate ways to improve user experience
System capacity planning (data centers, networking, etc.)
- Maintain node/VM inventory
- Manage data center/virtual data center use
Vendor relations and hardware ordering
- Maintain relationships with vendors
- Spec out new hardware and cloud options and advise team and management on best services for new projects
- Create bids for new orders
Work with other ARC-TS and ARC-TS affiliated persons to support computational research around the University.
Stay abreast of application technology trends in scientific hardware and environments (Computers, accelerators, system management methods, etc.).
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- ADVANCING THE MISSION: Demonstrates knowledge of the primary mission of the University and Michigan Medicine. Demonstrates awareness of the diversity of constituency groups, their roles, purposes and issues.
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING / STRATEGIC THINKING: Demonstrates ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems. Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo. Demonstrates ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve complex problems.
- DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS: Demonstrates initiative in participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement. Demonstrates ability to apply new skills/knowledge to the job and serves as a training resource to less experienced staff.
- QUALITY SERVICE: Demonstrates ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service. Demonstrates the ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective, assesses urgency of requests and responds accordingly. Demonstrates focus on fulfilling expectations by seeking insight into customer needs and developing solutions that provide value for the customer.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two (2) or more years in a production Linux environment
- Strong understanding of bash/shell and one of Perl or Python
- Strong understanding of configuration management and system provisioning methods and tools
- Strong understanding of security practices in a shared environment
- Understand Unix/Linux TCP/IP networking
- Understanding of SQL
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent communication skills via email, letters and in person to teams and customers
- Ability to creatively improve workflows and processes
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Ability to manage priorities in face of multiple requests and projects
- Ability to self direct as well as participate in a larger distributed support structure
- Familiarity with batch computing environments (Slurm, Torque, HT-Condor)
- Experience with Linux kernel modules, preferably for Lustre, Intel Xeon PHIs, NVIDIA GPUs and Mellanox InfiniBand cards
- Experience with X-Cat, Kickstart or Ansible
- Experience providing IT support in an academic environment
- Experience with Cloud APIs and methods (AWS, Azure, GCE, OpenStack)
- Experience with logging and metric tools such as Elasticsearch, Logstash or Graphite
- Experience with compute health monitoring systems such as Sensu or Nagios/Icinga
- Experience with Intel Xeon PHI or GPU Accelerators
- Familiarity with any of C/C++, MATLAB, Fortran, R, CUDA or OpenACC
- The selected candidate may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law, and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards, including but not limited to ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA.
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required.
- The selected candidate will be conducting work in a stationary position for a normal amount of time and have the ability to move around an office environment; able to conduct work at a computer.
- Staff members are required to provide and maintain his or her own high-speed residential Internet connectivity services.
- The selected candidate may need to handle export controlled software and/or hardware as well as protected data such as FISMA, FERPA or HIPAA.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan was featured as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For" in the 2017 Chronicle of Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 3 by Money Magazine’s “Best Colleges for Your Money 2017/2018" which evaluated 711 higher education institutions on 27 factors within three broad categories: educational quality, affordability and alumni success.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.