How to Apply
Please apply at the University of Michigan Careers website: careers.umich.edu
A detailed cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position; include the cover letter as the first page of your resume. In your cover letter, describe how your skills and experience directly relate to the specific duties and qualifications of this position.
The University of Michigan, Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum is seeking to hire up to two, full-time, temporary (9 month term limited) Natural Areas/Horticulture Technicians to assist in the development, maintenance, and management of living plant collections and natural areas in support of teaching, research, public outreach, and conservation goals of the U-M Matthaei-Nichols. Employment begins Thursday, March 1 and ends Friday, November 30, 2018. This position is 40 hours per week, Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday.
Job duties may include:
- Working alone or as part of a team, indoors and outdoors, to maintain gardens, plant specimens and collections, assist with greenhouse operations and the stewardship of natural areas.
- Growing plants in greenhouses and tending outdoor gardens; plant, water, fertilize, apply herbicide, pull weeds, spread mulch, and clean up gardens in the fall.
- Pruning, dragging and chipping brush, caging tree and shrub plantings as well as trail construction, brush clearing and other trail maintenance.
- Conducting prescribed fires and identifying and controlling exotic invasive plants.
- Supervising and leading student interns, work-study students, and volunteers.
- A good work ethic, enthusiasm for teamwork and a willingness to learn.
- Previous experience in greenhouses, formal gardens, landscape care, botany, ecology or ecological restoration.
- The ability to move and transport up to 40lbs.
- Must be willing and able to work in a variety of weather conditions, tolerate biting insects, poison ivy and other challenges of outdoor work.
- An ability or willingness to learn to use a variety of power equipment and hand tools is necessary: tractors, mowers, utility vehicles, chainsaws, wood chipper, rototillers, rakes, shovels, hoes, etc.
- A State of Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License or willingness to obtain one is required (Matthaei-Nichols provides study materials and may cover certification expenses) and a willingness to apply herbicides is necessary.
- Previous experience with any of the following: landscape design, rain gardens, prescribed fires or trail work.
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience.
- Experience growing and tending a variety of ornamental and/or native plants.
This is a temporary position lasting 9 months.
Weekly Schedule: 40 hours a week / Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday
Our mission is: Promoting environmental enjoyment, stewardship and sustainability through education, research and interaction with the natural world.
We believe diversity strengthens our ability to accomplish this mission.
For more information about Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum please visit our website at mbgna.umich.edu.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.