How to Apply
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 152150, PAs are directed to apply to job # 152151
A total of one(1), 1.0 FTE, Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
MHealthy, Health and Well-being Services at the University of Michigan is looking for a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner for a new Back Pain Triage and Education Program for U-M faculty and staff. This PA/NP will provide in-person physical assessments at two different locations in Ann Arbor, Michigan to help guide U-M faculty and staff with acute back pain to appropriate treatment and resources in a timely manner. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Please note, this is a 2-year position with anticipation of regular funding by 2nd year.
This posting replaces #143459
- Work independently to see new and return visits under the general supervision of faculty.
- Provide assessment, education, triage and referral as indicated for U-M employees who have acute back-pain.
- Complete a thorough history and physical examination that is problem oriented for back conditions.
- Identify and recommend appropriate resources and services for patients
- Follow-up with patients after interventions on satisfaction, physical improvement, and other evaluation metrics.
- Compile and record detailed narrative evaluations in medical record and fax to external physicians as appropriate
- Develop relationships and processes with physical therapy and other services that may be beneficial to employee
- Develop rapport and trust with PCPs to expedite referrals to follow up care
- Assist with development of patient education materials, MHealthy Back Pain Website and other back and spine materials.
- Assist with data collection for research and evaluation purposes.
- Complete medical record documentation and communications with health care providers and patients in a timely manner
- Collaborate with UM Partners and Key Stakeholders
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of medical principles, practices, standards, and techniques and apply this knowledge in accordance with UMHS polices and procedures, Medical Staff Bylaws and in compliance with State and federal laws/regulations
- Participate in activities that promote professional growth and self-development
- Adhere to all UMHS dress codes, personnel and safety policies
- Some flexibility in work schedule may be necessary.
Functional supervision is received from the Medical Director of Occupational Health Services.
Administrative supervision is received from the Clinic Manager of Occupational Health Services.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Patient Care Services- Physician Assistant job family under number 152151 for PAs to apply.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined. If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Nursing Specific Info
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as a Adult-Gerontology Primary Care or Family Nurse Practitioner
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- DEA license required, or ability to obtain DEA license within 30 days of start date required
- Demonstrated expertise (both knowledge and practice) with diagnosing and treating orthopedic spine and back disorders
- Recent demonstrated expertise performing Histories and Physicals (especially related to musculoskeletal conditions).
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to provide effective patient education
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated competence with basic computer functions
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
* Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
** Under Michigan Law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of employment or transfer for this position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- At least 4 years’ recent experience with spine patient care, orthopedics, neurosurgery and/or work in a pain clinic.
- BLS approved by the American Heart Association
- ACLS may be required if mandated for certain privileges.
- Certification as a NP/PA in Orthopedics
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the Continuous Quality Improvement process
- Demonstrated excellent in communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in professional writing and publication
- Demonstrated leadership in professional healthcare setting and other professional activities.
- Telehealth management experience.
- Demonstrated participation in research and evaluation.
- Experience with MiChart/Epic medical records charting
Shift: Anticipate a Day Shift, Monday - Friday, no weekends or holidays.
Occupational Health Services
University of Michigan Health System - Med Inn Building
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMnursing.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.