To aseptically compound, prepare, package, and label various pharmaceutical and ancillary medical supplies. Complete designated computer based record keeping and provide support assistance to the HomeMed branch staff in the areas of inventory control, shipping, receiving and delivery under the supervision of a pharmacist.
Salaries for these positions are varied and set via a salary setting model.
- Complete order fill processing for internal/supply only orders. Complete order fill processing for prescription and enteral/supply orders. Provide order double checks for non-High alert orders. Participate in weekend, shift rotation and holiday staffing as assigned. Provide sick and vacation coverage as required.
- Core Competencies Include: Prepare and package compounded sterile products (CSPs) inclusive of hazardous substances using manual manipulations, automated compounding devices, and assistive tools relating to weights and measures. Critically review CSP mixing reports for accuracy and adherence to documentation standards. Perform and document calculations necessary to ensure all instances of pharmaceutical admixture result in CSPs which are sterile, stable, and in full compliance with labeled content(s), concentration(s), and expiration dating. Prepare and package non-sterile CSPs which are in full compliance with labeled content(s), concentration(s), and expiration dating. Demonstrate proficiency and accuracy in the confirmation of CSPs inclusive of using any paper and/or electronic formats. Handle all controlled substances with strict and full adherence to departmental, state, and federal rules and regulations. Participate in facility environmental monitoring and other quality assurance and/or data collection activities.
- Clean Room Core Competencies
- Associate Position Duties:
- Learning area core competencies:
- Gather data for review by a higher level technician, Technician Coordinator, Pharmacist or Supervisor/Manager. Works dependently on area tasks with oversight or coordination of activities by a higher level technician, Technician Coordinator, Pharmacist or Supervisor/Manager.
- Intermediate Position Duties:
- Able to perform the area Associate level pharmacy technician tasks and all of the following:
- Able to demonstrate competence and adherence to area core competencies. Interprets area data and assesses out of range specs and initiates action per policy or escalates findings as appropriate to area Technician Coordinator, Pharmacist or Supervisor/Manager. Works independently on area tasks with oversight or coordination of activities by a higher level technician, Technician Coordinator, Pharmacist or Supervisor/Manager. Acts as a shadow partner for new hires. Performs area out of cycle work. Demonstrates an awareness and dedication to fulfilling of area objectives and productivity goals.
- Senior Position:
- Able to perform the area Associate and Intermediate level pharmacy technician tasks and all of the following:
- Able to demonstrate competence and adherence to area core competencies. Acts as a trainer and mentor for new hires. Participate in area workgroups or represent area in departmental committees. Identify and lead or organize area projects or initiatives. Investigate and summarize work process issues.
Pharmacy Technician Associate
- High school diploma or equivalent
- State of Michigan Pharmacy Technician License is required
- Proficient communication skills, including fluency in writing, reading, and speaking English. Proficient computer skills and literacy, including keyboarding and Windows-based programs.
- Proficient in basic mathematics.
- Ability to travel from point A to B
- Licensure & Certification
Newly hired pharmacy technicians must have evidence that they have obtained a valid Michigan Pharmacy Technician License on or before their hire date. This can include a Full Michigan Pharmacy Technician License or a Temporary Michigan Pharmacy Technician License. If a technician obtains a Temporary Michigan Pharmacy Technician License on or before their date of hire, they must obtain a Full Michigan Pharmacy Technician License within 1 year of hire date or before the Temporary Michigan Pharmacy Technician License expires, whichever is sooner.
*Requirements for Pharmacy Technician Intermediate
- In addition to the above listed requirements, in order to be placed at the intermediate level, candidate must have prior work experience at the Associate level and must demonstrate the ability to perform the Intermediate position duties listed above (see Responsibilities)
*Requirements for Pharmacy Technician Senior
- Demonstrated, consistent, competence in performing all area specific core competencies and job classification duties as a Pharmacy Technician Intermediate.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ pharmacy technician experience in HomeMed Operations or equivalent experience in the home infusion environment elsewhere
- The employee will be able to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations. This position requires knowledge and proficient use of computers and various computer applications. These duties require fine motor coordination/dexterity, the ability to grasp, vision with or without corrective aids adequate for fine motor tasks and computer skills. The position requires the employee to have the ability to sit and stand for long periods of time. The job requires the physical demands of reaching, pushing, walking, going up and down stairs, and regularly lifting 35 pounds and occasionally lifting up to and including 70 pounds, with or without the use of assistive/adaptive devices. This job requires visual acuity and fine motor skills to operate a Fork Lift.
- Most comply with all UMHS Occupational Health requirements including annual Flu immunization.
- Ability to perform a wide range of physical activity: lifting, pulling, bending, manual dexterity movements
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, prioritize with accuracy and dependability
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking English.
Pharmacy Technician Certification Program with experiential training internship.Experience in the home infusion pharmacy environment. Experience working in a team environment. Proficient in operating within Web-based and Windows environments with experience in use of the following software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access.
Days (hours of operation between 7am-7pm, days of operation Monday-Saturday. Holidays and Sundays on-call.
This is a pharmacy technician position. HomeMed is located at 2850 S. Industrial Hwy. Suite 50, Ann Arbor.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Must comply with all UMHS Occupational Health requirements including annual flu immunization.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.