MedSport provides outstanding care to patients with muscle, tendon, ligament and cartilage injuries—and serves as an incredible resource for research. Here, our nationally and internationally regarded faculty physicians are tackling tough problems—and creating new treatments, therapies and devices for athletes and physically active people from all walks of life.
As a Patient Services Assistant for MedSport, you will serve as a positive role model on the business unit team. Your duties will require you to act as a change agent who promotes process improvement and sharing of best practices with the team. Here’s your opportunity to be a part of building a culture that promotes teamwork, open and honest communication and collaboration with all customers; internal and external.
Provide exceptional customer service to patients and families by meeting the highest standard of support for an outpatient clinical practice. Our front desk team works with patients and families, physicians and other team members to facilitate return visits, referral requests and the scheduling of specialty services.
- Provide exceptional customer service to patients and families, coordinating business functions at check-in and check-out desks.
- Checking patients in and out, scheduling future appointments, obtaining payments for services.
- Requesting and processing all patient payments, both co-pays and outstanding balances.
- Accurately reconcile and balance receipts and payments collected.
- Use MiChart (EMR) to schedule/re-schedule appointments.
- Schedule patients for consultations in other clinics and diagnostic studies.
- Maintain and update appointment schedules based on change in availability of medical and other professional staff.
- Determine existence of previous registration and obtain, verify and update insurance, financial, statistical and demographic information with the patient.
Education & Training
- Maintains current competencies and mandatory training.
- Serves as a positive role model and is an integral member of the front desk team.
- Communication is effective and positive with the entire health care team.
- Demonstrates proactive problem solving skills and takes the initiative to identify, act, and follow through on problems.
- Is able to consider the impacts of decisions/changes beyond the immediate work group.
- High School Diploma or GED and 0-2 years of experience.
- Ability to explain basic insurance coverage and co-pays to patients and share outstanding balance information to the patient and/or guarantor.
- Position requires individual to be flexible and must exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff in person and over the phone.
- Seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues.
- Shows willingness to learn new ways(changes) to accomplish work.
- Accomplishes work in ways that maximize productivity and available resources while minimizing waste.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to take direction and receive feedback.
- Effective time management skills.
- Must have documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Organized self-starter and motivated with strong problem solving skills.
- Able to work well in a team setting, demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills, and the ability to work well with others.
- Considerable knowledge of third party reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Knowledgeable with various types of insurances.
- Ability to understand medical terminology and coding.
- Understanding of managed care plans.
- Knowledge of MiChart (Cadence and In Baskets)-ability to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record. Able to identify the best available appointment type to meet the patient, clinic and provider needs/requirements.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan Health Systems Policies and Procedures.
- Recent experience in an Outpatient Clinic setting-able to identify "red call" and "yellow card" situations and respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Outlook, Skype for Business, Microsoft Word/Excel.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.