Provide leadership and support to a very busy and complex multiple divisional Ypsilanti Health Center (YHC) practice servicing an adult/pediatric patient population in a call center setting. Responsible for consistently organizing and reporting phone stat data at regular set times. Responsible for coaching/mentoring call center staff and for setting improvement goals. Responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service while facilitating communications between patients, public, payers, referring physicians and other health care providers. Must maintain an excellent rapport via the telephone and/or in person with parents, patients, faculty and staff within a team setting.
Assist in the identification and resolution of operating problems related to call centering, appointment scheduling, scheduling grid maintenance, and process implementation. Conduct formal on-the-job and ongoing training for call center staff. Maintain call center training material, scheduling grids and scheduling guidelines. Provide input on the performance of other call center staff. Assist call center staff in handling difficult and complex situations. Act as liaison between call center staff and others within the clinic or health center. Serve as a role model for exemplary customer service; coach and mentor call center staff. Demonstrate an excellent work ethic, serving as a role model in all areas of call center operations: adherence to start, break, and lunch times, adherence to proper utilization of Aspect phone functions, e.g. call work, sign out, appropriate internet usage, etc. Provide relief support for other staff as assigned during absences and/or vacations. Provide guidance and leadership to the Call Center Representatives, acting as front line “go to” person for questions and assistance.
Collect and generate phone stat data. Report and share with leadership and call center staff on a monthly basis; utilizing data to assist in recognition, coaching, mentoring, and goal setting. Maintain the YHC Clerical Call Center web site. Help to oversee and monitor day to day call center operations and processes for customer satisfaction and efficiency. Seek out areas in need of improvement and make suggestions for continuous quality improvement (CQI) - communicate with all staff at monthly meetings to reach department goals and resolve issues. Foster positive communication among all staff. Maintain administrative confidentiality in all matters. Demonstrate understanding of call center phone statistics; apply knowledge when setting personal performance goals.
Strive to meet UMHS call center targets. Other duties as assigned.
- Assist in the identification and resolution of operating problems related to call centering, scheduling, scheduling grid maintenance, and process implementation.
- Coordinate call center clerical activities, which includes setting priorities for call center staff, lunch times, delegating work assignments/tasks, overseeing work flow, etc.
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic, serving as a role model in all areas of call center operations: including exemplary customer service; coach and mentor call center staff and adherence to proper utilization of Aspect phone functions, e.g. call work, sign out, appropriate internet usage, etc.
- Provide strategic direction, guidance and leadership support to the YHC Call Center Team to identify opportunities for competency development and performance improvement, administers trainings for staff.
- Manages and streamlines scheduling of appropriate new patients to generate yield.
- Oversee corrective action including monitoring, coaching, training and discipline, processes staff performance evaluations, and makes recommendations for professional development and growth.
- Manage and monitor day to day call center operations and processes for customer satisfaction and efficiency; identifies areas in need of improvement and makes suggestions for continuous quality improvement (CQI), evaluating benchmarks, metrics, trends, daily review and reporting of service levels, call volumes and other statistical data.
- Analyze agent performance data, identifying process improvement opportunities and execute prioritized process improvement in support of multiple stakeholders (both patient and business) needs.
- Adhere to and ensure staff is following the established call center quality standards including call pathways and scheduling matrix.
- Effectively establish and maintain working relationships with peers and constituents at all levels of the Ypsilanti Health Center, Family Medicine and Pediatrics.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team leader/member ensuring that key stakeholders needs are met. Serve as liaison between call center staff and other clinical and administrative staff members.
- Serve as a role model and provide relief support for other staff as necessary.
- Foster positive communication among all staff and maintain administrative confidentiality in all matters
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years of team leadership and/or direct supervisory experience.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a healthcare environment/organization.
- Medical terminology competency is necessary.
- Ability to multi-task and to work in a fast paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Previous experience working as a call center agent a must.
- Demonstrated friendly, warm, articulate telephone manner with a clear, well-modulated speaking voice.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service delivery and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills are necessary.
- Ability to manage stress effectively and professionally.
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities in a very busy setting.
- Ability to exhibit professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- 3-5 years of call center or customer service experience.
- Experience implementing process changes.
- Experience with University of Michigan Health System computer programs including MiChart.
- Working knowledge of insurance company requirements, resources and references.
Site Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 7:30am - 4:30pm, Rotating Saturday morning 8am-12pm.
Location: Ypsilanti Health Center, 200 Arnet Street, Suite 200, Ypsilanti, 48198
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.