How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Bipolar Research Team in the Department of Psychiatry and Depression Center carries out research in bipolar disorder. We collect extensive clinical data on research participants and maintain an ongoing relationship with the participating subjects during follow-up that blends neuroimaging, neuroendocrine, sleep measures and treatment outcomes with the genetic research to provide clues as to how each individual should be treated.
The Bipolar Research Team maintains research databases for several projects that intersect, including the large-scale longitudinal study of approximately 1,200 participants over 11 years and growing. This includes a clinical and genetic data repository. The Bipolar Research Team uses a wide variety of peripheral devices, currently REDCap and Oracle are the primary data management systems.
This position will participate in all aspects of the research process and in projects involving one or more of the above subject areas.
Architect, design, and implement data management solutions on the cloud (i.e. Amazon Web Services) that involves multimedia files as well as structured and/or unstructured data. Implement a system that can scale with the incoming data from many mobile devices. Ensure that the data are encrypted and secured and the data management system is compliant with HIPAA rules.
In collaboration with faculty and staff, designs, programs, and maintains complex relational databases including development of user interfaces to databases. Will implement and maintain access methods, access time, device allocation, validation checks, organization, protection and security, documentation, and statistical methods. Includes maintenance of database dictionaries, overall monitoring of standards and procedures, and integration of systems through database design.
Assist with other software development projects such as development and integration of web applications, bioinformatic tools, installation maintenance and support, user support and security monitoring. Maintain existing systems. Analyze existing systems functions and critical problems working with users to determine and implement required revision/resolution. Must be competent to work at the highest level of all phases of database management and development. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information, biostatistics, mathematics, statistics, engineering or related field, and minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Strong database administration and Cloud platforms experience (Amazon Web Services / Microsoft Azure)
- At least 2 years of experience using Linux operating system. Strong knowledge of IP networking that includes VPCs, VPNs, VRF, DNS, load balancing, and firewalls
- At least 2 years of experience working on relational and non-relational databases
- Able to work in a clinical laboratory environment and adhere to all clinical laboratory guidelines/regulations
- Write code to design and maintain programs/database
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy. Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to work as part of a team or individually while meeting deadlines in a multi-tasking environment with competing deadlines
- Prior research and project management experience
- Knowledge of mental health-care field desired
- Cloud platforms experience (Amazon Web Services / Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with current web technologies
- Basic knowledge or SharePoint, Qualtrics, SAS, and SPSS
- Experience with clinical healthcare data, including data management, and integration of multiple data sources
- Experience in an analytical environment (e.g., data warehouse, business intelligence)
- Experience with reporting tools (e g. SQL Developer, Bio Query, Crystal Reporting)
- Familiarity with UM Clinical Data Management SOPs
- Ability to collaborate with IT, implementation team(s), and vendors to support clinical application development and/or integrate data sources
Rachel Upjohn Building, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan participates with the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions that are funded by a federal contract with the FAR E-Verify clause must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. This position is identified as a position that may include the E-Verify requirement.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.