How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The basic function and responsibility of this position is to plan, gather, analyze, interpret, and report clinical and administrative data to measure performance and identify opportunities to improve the cost and quality of healthcare services within the organization, with an initial focus on the Oncology Care Model project.
This position is directly responsible to the manager of the data management team in Quality Analytics with a dotted line relationship to the Oncology Care Model project manager. This position may provide functional supervision to junior staff members and/or work-study students, and is expected to maintain collaborative team-focused relationships with support, clinical, and administrative staff within the UMHS and external agencies as appropriate.
• Analyzes and interprets data to identify opportunities to improve cost and quality of care
• Conducts analyses on cost and quality of care performance to facilitate medical and disease management and assessment of physician practice patterns
• Perform internal review on data quality and reasonableness (compare historical performance with national, regional, and local sources) of reports and/or analyses of health services prior to external distribution
• Participate in the development of policies and procedures related to the analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of health services data
• Develop and recommend report formats and graphical representations of data
• Develop and deliver written, graphical, and/or verbal presentations of provider, product, program, and service-specific data to internal staff, clinicians, UMHS leaders, relevant committees, and other constituencies
• Work with database programmers to plan and implement the data management and analysis of major new products and programs (including the Oncology Care Model project), including definition of data requirements, data capture and storage, and analyses required to measure and evaluate performance
• Coordinate with other team members and IT staff to determine timing of development efforts and key milestones
• Participates in all activities related to data quality, integrity, analysis, and reporting
• Works with clinicians and administrators to develop strategies to improve performance
• Participates on UMHS quality improvement committees as needed
• Aid in mentoring and training of new and/or junior staff on data analysis and related processes
• Provides functional supervision of students as needed to ensure task completion and product delivery in efforts to measure quality and improve performance
• Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications - Senior Level
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in health care field or equivalent experience
• At least 5 years of experience in analyzing and interpreting process, clinical outcomes, and quality of care
• Well-developed skills in using database query tools and reporting software.
• Experience with Oracle SQL
• Broad knowledge of experience in the delivery of patient care in inpatient and outpatient settings
• Must be detail oriented with strong organizational, analytic, and problem solving skills, as well as have exceptional verbal and written communications skills
Required Qualifications - Intermediate underfill
· Bachelor's degree in health care field or equivalent experience
· At least 3 years of experience in analyzing and interpreting process, clinical outcomes, and quality of care
· Experience in using database query tools and reporting software.
· Experience with SQL
· Broad knowledge of experience in the delivery of patient care in inpatient and outpatient settings
· Must be detail oriented with organizational, analytic, and problem solving skills
· Good verbal and written communications skills
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines in a fast paced and changing environment with multiple competing tasks and priorities.
• Strong customer service skills and commitment to excellent customer service.
• Ability to anticipate requests and needs in advance and plan accordingly.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.