Teach students, post-docs, and research associates proper microscope etiquette and answer questions pertaining to usage. Learn associated image capture and analysis programs in order to educate lab personnel how to use such measures and consult on the best course for scientific analysis. The latter duties will include implementing the Stereo Investigator system from Microbrightfield for histological analyses. Maintain all equipment and supplies related to microscope-based procedures. Perform other assigned duties and learn new techniques as job expands. Additional procedures may include histological staining and various quantitative analyses for peer reviewed publication.
- Bachelor's degree in biology or related field with at least two years experience working with light microscopes.
- Experience with basic computer skills on a PC and/or Mac along with some knowledge of computer programs.
- Applicant must have excellent communication skills and ability to work with peers, supervisors and associates in a team oriented environment.
- A Master's degree in biology or related field with two or more years of experience working with and maintaining Leica and Zeiss light microscopes as well as familiarity with image capture and analysis programs (ImageJ and Velocity) on a PC and/or Mac.
- Prior experience performing stereological analyses using Stereo Investigator is highly desirable.
- The ability to work cooperatively in a team environment with regard to time, materials, and equipment management is essential.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.