How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position and
- Include your current or ending salary
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position may be filled at the Intermediate FLSA Exempt level ($53,538 - $73,500) or at the FLSA Non-Exempt Associate level ($47,476 - $59,000). The starting salary and position level are dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The requirements listed below reflect that of the Intermediate level, however applicants with lesser experience are also encouraged to apply.
The University of Michigan serves the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in research, teaching, and healthcare. Information and Technology Services (ITS) is the central IT organization at U-M supporting the operations of the university. We have an opportunity to hire a Database Administrator to help shape the future of infrastructure services. Our strategic plan includes migrating from traditional on-premise data centers to cloud computing environments. Over the next few years, we will be actively building solutions to deliver database services in the cloud.
The Database Services team contributes to the mission of the University by running the University’s enterprise-wide Oracle, Microsoft SQL, and MYSQL databases for administrative systems, websites and research applications across campus. We provide the organization with highly available, resilient database service. This includes being available for support after hours and on weekends on a team rotation. Our team resolves issues quickly, striving to exceed customer expectations.
We are looking for a strategic and futuristic thinker with enthusiasm for exploring cloud infrastructure solutions and a zest for automating processes for efficiency.
For more information about the department of ITS, please visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
- Performs database administration tasks for Oracle, Mysql, and/or Microsoft SQL including backing up databases, tuning database configuration for optimal performance, monitoring and resolving errors. Also installs, configures, upgrades and patches database software. Demonstrates written communication skills through clear documentation of database environments/architectures and procedures for others to follow. Supports planning and reporting on capacity metrics and growth forecasting for future purchases of database resources.
- Responds to and resolves customer incidents and service requests that come in through the service management system, meeting service level expectations (SLE).
- Collaborates. Contributes ideas and shares information with the team. Develops and maintains positive and cooperative relationships, interacting in a friendly, open, and honest manner.
- Works on assigned projects and collaborates with project teams to architect and build infrastructures that meet vendor and customer requirements.
- Innovates and refines database administration operations for more efficient procedures. Writes scripts to automate production support processes and makes recommendations for other improvements.
- Researches and evaluates new database technologies and features, and shares knowledge with the team. Develops strategy for implementation of new features.
- Supports and revises the design and implementation plan for high availability and disaster recovery to ensure data integrity and availability.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
BUILIDING RELATIONSHIPS / INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Maintains agreed upon levels of confidentiality.
LEADERSHIP / ACHIEVEMENT ORIENTATION: Demonstrated ability to understand what is expected to do the job well, function effectively in a team, reprioritize work, remain calm and deliberate, achieve deadlines or milestones, accept accountability for mistakes, and take corrective action.
QUALITY SERVICE: Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently to perform database administration tasks for Oracle, MySQL, and/or Microsoft SQL. (One (1) year experience required for associate level).
- Demonstrated ability perform database backups and recoveries, performance tuning, monitoring and database software installation and patching/upgrading.
- Demonstrated ability to provide positive customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, troubleshoot, and resolve complex issues in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate command line operating system interfaces for Linux and/or Windows.
- Effectively communicates via email, letters and in person to teams and customers.
- Demonstrated ability to script and automate database and server administration tasks.
- Experience with advanced Oracle database technologies including RAC, ASM, DataGuard, and Cloud Control.
- Working knowledge of cloud and/or virtualization solutions.
- Experience managing databases for large-scale ERP products with high-availability requirements and service level agreements.
- Experience with Windows Failover Cluster Technology and always on availability groups for high-availability MSSQL service.
- Familiarity with NoSQL based database platforms.
- Certifications in Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL and/or Amazon Web Services.
- Experience in understanding PCI and HIPAA compliance.
- Operating system administration experience.
- Working knowledge of SQL Server Integration Services and SQL Server Analysis Services.
- Experience with MySQL dual-master replication, monitoring, and automated patching.
- Experience using orchestration and configuration management tools.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger's list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan was featured as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For" in the 2017 Chronicle of Higher Education.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.