How to Apply
Applicants will only be considered after successful completion and submission of the following:
- Completed application via the UM Careers website
- Letter of Intent
- Updated curriculum vitae
Join the Pharmacy team at the Michigan Medicine! The vision of Michigan Medicine is to create the future of health care through discovery and to become the national leader in health care, health care reform, biomedical innovation and education. As part of this world-class organization, the Department of Pharmacy Services has high standards for service, education, and research. Our Department has a rich history of excellence; you have the opportunity to join a world-class team to provide exceptional patient care and advance the Mission of Michigan Medicine.
Oversee the development, implementation and monitoring of clinical services for Children’s and Women’s Hospital to ensure and promote the safe, rational, efficacious and cost-effective use of drug therapy in patients under our care; to provide leadership for clinical services including developing guidelines and policies, developing quality improvement processes, and to oversee the clinical training of staff, residents and students. Keys to success for this position include fostering a culture of teamwork, collaboration, exceptional personnel management skills, and clinical and distribution system thinking. This position serves as pharmacy administrator on-call on a rotating basis. Approximately 10% staffing is required based on the team’s scheduling needs. Excellent written and verbal skills are also required. Pediatric, management experience, and previous residency training highly desired.
For more information about the UMHS Department of Pharmacy Services, see our annual report at: https://www.medicine.umich.edu/dept/pharmacy/pharmacy-annual-report
GENEROUS BENEFITS PACKAGE
- Health insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement plan
- Opportunities to earn continuing education credits at in-house education programs
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish work schedules, training and staffing requirements for support personnel
- Coordinate the acquisition and appropriate charging of drugs
- Ensure all related quality assurance, billing and distribution activities are performed and documented
- Supervise the maintenance of the pharmaceutical and supply inventories, storing under proper conditions and security
- Assure compliance with Pharmacy and regulatory agency standards
- Interview and recommend the employment of staff
- Evaluate the effectiveness of section operations and recommend organizational changes, policy and procedures and revisions
- Assist in the development and implementation of new methods, techniques, controls and equipment
- Resolve problems and complaints raised by patients, physicians, and staff, with authority to make commitments within established policies.
- Instruct Residents, students and House staff
- Assure compliance with affirmative action and safety programs
- Assist in the development and implementation of new pharmacy services to support the Michigan Medicine’s goals and objectives
- Pharmacists serve as preceptors for Doctor of Pharmacy students on a variety of practice experiences including Introductory Pharmacy Patient Experiences (IPPEs) and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs), and may provide didactic education for pharmacy students
- Pharmacists serve as preceptors for pharmacy residents
- May conduct or participate in research, drug use projects, cost reduction/management initiatives, and quality improvement activities consistent with Michigan Medicine’s goals and objectives.
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certificate of completion from a PGY-2 Residency in Health System Pharmacy Administration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Current licensure as a registered pharmacist by the State of Michigan Board of Pharmacy and a Michigan Controlled Substance License to practice pharmacy in the State of Michigan, or eligibility to become licensed within 60 days of employment start date
- Able to perform all of the Duties and Responsibilities
- Able to prioritize with accuracy and dependability
- Demonstrate and apply excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Effectively communicate with pharmacy team members, other healthcare professionals, employees, patients and visitors
- Accurately and efficiently interpret and process medication orders, labels, and documentation
- Ability to meet all of the above qualifications and requirements with or without reasonable accommodation
- Successful candidates should demonstrate the ability to work with physicians, pharmacists, information system staff, and allied health professionals from all clinical disciplines.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills are very important. Advanced degree (MS, MBA, MPH, MHA) are desired.
This position will report to the Director of Acute Care Pharmacy Services
Pharmacy Managers provide administrative supervision of technician supervisors, pharmacists, technical staff, residents, and students working in their area
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.