How to Apply
Applicants will only be considered after successful completion and submission of the following:
- Completed application via the UM Careers website
- Letter of Intent
- Updated curriculum vitae
Join the Pharmacy team at the Michigan Medicine! The vision of Michigan Medicine is to create the future of health care through discovery and to become the national leader in health care, health care reform, biomedical innovation and education. As part of this world-class organization, the Department of Pharmacy Services has high standards for service, education, and research. Our Department has a rich history of excellence; you have the opportunity to join a world-class team to provide exceptional patient care and advance the Mission of Michigan Medicine. Work to assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of clinical services; to ensure and promote the safe, rational, efficacious and cost-effective use of drug therapy in patients under our care; to provide leadership for clinical services including developing guidelines and policies, developing quality improvement processes, and to assist in the clinical training of staff, residents and students.
GENEROUS BENEFITS PACKAGE
- Health insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement plan
- Opportunities to earn continuing education credits at in-house education programs
For more information about the UMHS Department of Pharmacy Services, see our annual report at: https://www.medicine.umich.edu/dept/pharmacy/pharmacy-annual-report
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively collaborate with the health care team designing, implementing and monitoring patient-specific pharmacotherapy; interviewing patients to obtain medication histories; counseling patients regarding proper drug dosage, administration, usage, and possible side effects; documenting pharmaceutical care activities
- Provide assistance as a member of patient care team ensuring accurate medication use and documentation of medication administration in situations such as cardiac arrests
- Assist in the development and implementation of new pharmacy services to support the Michigan Medicine’s goals and objectives
- Develop and implement quality improvement and process improvements to improve patient care and pharmacy services
- Assure the appropriateness of medication therapy through:
- Review of medication orders for clinical appropriateness based on patient specific conditions and concomitant therapies.
- Communication with prescribers and providers regarding appropriateness of drug therapy and patient response to therapy.
- Assure the appropriateness of medication therapy through: (minority of responsibilities)
- Compound and accurately dispense medications, intravenous solutions and related supplies
- Formulate, prepare, and maintain quality control of pharmaceutical preparations
- Check medication preparation and oversee delegated pharmacy services performed by pharmacy technicians
- Pharmacists serve as preceptors for Doctor of Pharmacy students on a variety of practice experiences including Introductory Pharmacy Patient Experiences (IPPEs) and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs), and may provide didactic education for pharmacy students
- Pharmacists serve as preceptors for pharmacy residents (PGY1 Pharmacy, PGY2)
- May assist in the development and provision of medication-related educational and training programs
- May conduct or participate in research, drug use projects, cost reduction/management initiatives, and quality improvement activities consistent with Michigan Medicine’s goals and objectives.
Additional pharmacy and patient care services may include but are not limited to:
- Patient education.
- Precept PGY1 Pharmacy, PGY2 residents
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certificate of completion from a PGY-2 Residency, fellowship, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current licensure as a registered pharmacist by the State of Michigan Board of Pharmacy and a Michigan Controlled Substance License to practice pharmacy in the State of Michigan, or eligibility to become licensed within 60 days of employment start date
- Able to perform all of the Duties and Responsibilities
- Able to prioritize with accuracy and dependability
- Demonstrate and apply excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Effectively communicate with pharmacy team members, other healthcare professionals, employees, patients and visitors
- Accurately and efficiently interpret and process medication orders, labels, and documentation
- Ability to meet all of the above qualifications and requirements with or without reasonable accommodation
- Relevant work experience in the area of practice
- Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) certification in Pharmacotherapy
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
This schedule for this position includes dayshift, with a weekend and holiday rotation.
- General supervision is received from the assistant director and /or team leader or other designated official.
- Functional supervision is exercised over pharmacy residents, pharmacy technicians, students, and other staff performing delegated pharmacy services.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed any time after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.