How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Basic Function and Responsibility
To perform breast ultrasound exams and related procedures by operating Ultrasound equipment to make images of designated areas and evaluate the technical quality of images
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
*Performs Breast ultrasound exams and procedures which may take between 15 to 90 minutes.
*Explain and prepare patients for examinations and perform
- Independently perform clinical assessment and breast sonography examinations with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates sonographic skills to identify, record, and adapt procedures as appropriate to patient for anatomical, pathological, and diagnostic information and images.
- Demonstrates independent judgment to acquire the optimum breast sonographic information in each examination performed.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate images for technical quality, assuring proper identification is recorded and correct imaging protocol is followed.
- Demonstrated ability to operate sonographic equipment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently acquire high quality images, demonstrates overall excellent quality work.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and communicate breast information to the attending physician.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with the patient and health care team, recognizing the special needs of each patient.
- Demonstrates the ability to provide sonography instruction, supervises and coaches hands on clinical breast ultrasound exam performance for cross-training mammography technologists and students.
- Demonstrates the ability to provide appropriate 1:1 feedback, coaching, and mentoring to staff in the effort to continually improve image quality and patient care.
- Establishes and maintains ethical working relationships and good rapport with all interrelating hospital/clinical staff or outside referring clinics.
- Provides appropriate instructions for patients, and assumes responsibility for the safety, mental and physical comfort of patients while they are in the sonographer's care.
- Must be available for emergency after-hours procedures.
- Graduate of / obtained certification of completion of /a formal Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and / or graduation from an accredited school of Radiologic Technology is required.
- Active certification by American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (RDMS, BR) in Breast or by the American Registry of Radiologic Technology (ARRT, BS) with advanced certification in Breast Ultrasound.
- Current compliance with Continuing Medical Education (CME) requirements for Breast Ultrasound.
- Current BCLS Certification
- Three (3) years of experience performing Breast Ultrasound as primary responsibility.
- Experience with informal on-the-job training.
40 hours, day shift, rotating Saturdays
Cancer Center B2 317
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.