How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required; the cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume. The letter should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization has an exciting opportunity to employ a Service Management Technical Lead to oversee the design, support and improvement of technologies used to enable an enterprise wide customer-centric service delivery model.
As a Service Management Technical Lead for ITS Strategy & Planning, you will be part of the Service Management Team working to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of IT operations through a thoughtful integration of process and technologies. You will be instrumental in guiding the modernization of internal systems, such as ServiceNow, to automate and integrate with the organization’s move to public cloud services. Additionally, you will play a role in enabling an enterprise platform for coordination and collaboration between campus partners dedicated to a shared customer base.
You will be responsible for designing the Service Management architecture, which includes integrations across multiple technologies and data sources. As the technical lead you will establish a framework to ensure data segmentation, information assurance and platform security so that our users can confidently deliver their services and run their business. You will engage with software developers, data specialists, support engineers, infrastructure technicians and subject matter experts to create a cost effective, sustainable technology ecosystem. As the technology lead, you will provide technical leadership as it pertains to application solution recommendations, stay abreast of industry and product trends and manage the overall availability, security and performance of the environment. Strengthening relationships across our vendor and key stakeholder base is a key skill of the Service Management technical lead.
Additionally, you will shepherd the development and adherence to software development lifecycle standards within the environment that supports timely and accurate development documentation, code review procedures, testing and solution diagrams. It is important for the technical lead to be able to manage work streams in both a traditional waterfall and agile / SCRUM method simultaneously. As part of an interactive team environment, you will assist in the development of future roadmaps and tactical execution plans to support broader Service Management and other key initiatives.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
While not limited to the following items, as a Service Management Technical Lead for ITS Strategy & Planning at the University of Michigan, your key responsibilities include:
- Active monitoring and managing the prioritization, resource allocation and work throughput of production support, quick wins and project work for Service Management technical related work items within a common team Agile / SCRUM approach.
- Providing technical oversight for the modernization of the Service Management architecture to support the ever-changing IT landscape. Examples include discovery and service mapping within cloud service models, integrations with university ERP systems and/or establishing APIs for our partners.
- Process Improvements. In recognition that we provide the Service Management technologies, such as ServiceNow, for others to leverage as their ticket system, the technical lead designs, manages and improves an ecosystem that ensures data segmentation where needed; ensures information assurance through sustainable role and permission structures and yet provides flexibility and autonomy where it makes sense, such as the need for independently branded service catalogs.
- Managing the execution of the technical resources to the project. Develops implementation and contingency plans, and timelines for projects. Provides status reports, exchanges relevant information with management and project teams, and meets timelines. Provides accurate time estimates for tasks, identifies impacted teams, and notifies management of potential risks and issues.
- Active coordination with cross-functional teams to administer and manage underlying infrastructure components, ensuring they remain current and meet existing security protocols.
- Providing 24 x 7 on call support as part of a scheduled rotation with other team members.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING: Demonstrated ability to prevent and solve simple problems, seeking help from others when required.
- BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS / INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of workgroup, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Maintains agreed upon levels of confidentiality.
- COMMUNICATIONS: Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively via email, letters and in person to teams, customers and differing audiences. Uses appropriate methods of communication (face-to-face, etc.) to achieve desired results.
- FLEXIBILITY / ADAPTABILITY TO CHANGE: Understanding and accepting the need for change, cooperating in implementation and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience in a related technology based role requiring customer service, confidentiality, timeliness, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently to successfully specify and perform proof of concept and gauging fit of Service Management technologies and platforms within enterprise architecture.
- Proven ability to break complex technical challenges down into tactical steps with appropriate timing, phases and business impact considerations.
- Demonstrated experience as an application developer in a SaaS solution with on premise integrations across multiple systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the broader infrastructure the application operates within and the ability to translate impacts and participate in decision making, such as network, authentication, MID servers and cloud service models.
- Proven ability to design, build and support systems with complex data segmentation and information assurance requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in transforming application development teams into a SCRUM delivery model.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to efficiently manage day-to-day system administration, service restoration tasks and root-cause analysis across the Service Management environment.
- Demonstrated experience in application development and technical environment design.
- Proven experience with a broad array of technologies and platforms.
- Proven ability to lead, mentor and guide Tier III Operations teams to meet customer expectations.
- Demonstrated experience with operational continuous improvement programs.
- One (1) or more years of experience working with infrastructure discovery, service mapping and automation technologies
- Two (2) or more years of experience:
- as a ServiceNow Administrator or developer
- with cloud service models from the perspective of the run environment, which might include monitoring alert, discovery, tagging principles, understanding impact on service changes, etc..
- with configuring applications to meet requirements associated with data segmentation, information assurance and security protocols.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a lead in an application development team operating under an agile model.
- Experience configuring application management capabilities, such as monitoring, automated testing and reusable code / workflow libraries.
- Certification or working knowledge of concepts of ITIL.
- Experience implementing and supporting large scale enterprise solutions with competing customer demands.
- Ability to communicate technical information in business terms.
This selected candidate may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law, and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards, including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. The selected candidate will be responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Additional Requirements / Physical Demands
Candidate must regularly move throughout the office environment, must frequently operate a computer to complete work and tasks and may be required to move equipment weighing up to 120 pounds.
Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required. May require a flexible work schedule and working during non-business hours based on business needs. Requires on-call availability outside normal working hours.
Will require travel to various locations on campus
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger's list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan was featured as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For" in the 2017 Chronicle of Higher Education.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.