How to Apply
To be considered for this position a cover letter must be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter must address your specific interest in the position and outline your skills and experience directly relating to this position's responsibilities and qualifications.
Pre-award activities include assisting in the development, preparation, review, and submission of proposals. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing and adhering to proposal submission guidelines.
- Navigating various external and internal proposal submission systems.
- Developing budgets and budget justifications.
- Preparing complex proposal submission packages.
- Managing and meeting multiple, coinciding deadlines.
- Coordinating with internal and external staff.
- Following College of Engineering and University policies.
- Maintaining awareness of new regulations and changing requirements.
Post award activities include assisting in the oversight of multiple types of funded projects (federally sponsored, non-federally sponsored, internal, gifts). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Investigating, analyzing, and resolving project issues.
- Preparing post-award change requests.
- Locating and updating documents and maintaining files.
- Preparing responses to inquiries.
- Assisting with the preparation of various financial reports and documents.
- Assisting in the oversight and tracking of administrative issues.
Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with miscellaneous HR-related tasks, such as appointment processing and tracking, and other research-related administrative duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent plus 2-3 years of related experience.
- Positive attitude and strong commitment to providing exceptional support to faculty and team members.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, requiring minimal day-to-day supervision to deliver quality projects in a timely manner.
- High level of problem solving skills, good decision-making ability, and exceptional organizational and project management skills with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, complete tasks in a timely manner, and work well under pressure of multiple deadlines.
- Excellent attendance record and a willingness to work, as necessary, to meet tight timelines.
- Strong computer skills, specifically proficiency utilizing Excel, Word, and Adobe PDF.
- Prior experience working with sponsored research in an academic environment.
- Experience with budgeting, electronic proposal submission, and post-award administration of grants and contracts is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of University standard practice accounting procedures and principles. Familiarity and experience with University administrative and business tools such as M-Pathways, M-Reports, Business Objects and eResearch.
- Knowledge of University and various UM school/college policies and processes.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity .
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.