How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
In 2014, the University of Michigan Medical School embarked on the strategic priority to transform its clinical trials enterprise by 2018. The Medical School Office of Research has implemented a new organizational structure, common infrastructure, and redesigned business processes necessary to increase the success of our clinical trials portfolio. The organizational structure includes the establishment of a central Clinical Trials Support Office (CTSO) with 7 trans-departmental Clinical Trials Support Units (CTSUs) that are aligned around common areas of research. An enterprise-wide clinical trials management system, OnCore, is being implemented to underpin this organizational structure. OnCore supports the new business processes and standard work and will be the system of record for clinical trial information.
We are seeking an intermediate level candidate for a Report Writer to contribute to report development efforts as a member of the Clinical Trials Management System Implementation team at Michigan Medicine. Working with a multidisciplinary matrixed team, you will coordinate collection of report requirements from faculty, study teams, leadership and other stakeholders in the Clinical Trials Transformation Initiative, identify the best data sources for the required information, and develop and maintain reports that present the information in a clear, efficient and user-friendly way. Functional supervision is received from the Senior Report Writer. The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in:
- Data visualization and dashboard creation
- Data management, including complex requirement analysis, design, development, and maintenance
- Performing feasibility studies evaluating various solutions for complex business challenges
Candidate will also be expected to:
- Work in an agile development environment
- Build domain knowledge in the fields of research administration and clinical research
- Quickly become familiar with a variety of research systems and their data models
- Provide support to various business and technical groups as required for development and deployment of required reporting infrastructure (warehouses/applications/portals/dashboards)
- Effectively communicate with management, co-workers, teams, business offices, and subject matter experts
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment to meet timelines
Direct supervision is receive from the OnCore Coordinator and Clinical Trials Application Manager. Functional supervision is received from the OnCore Senior Report Writer.
- Bachelor degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- 3+ years of experience with relational database systems (e.g., Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server) and SQL development tools
- 3+ years of experience with analytics, reporting and business intelligence tools such as Tableau, iReport, Jasper Reports, Crystal Reports, etc.
- Experience with determining project objectives and requirements, anticipating and solving problems, and developing standards and guidelines for diverse activities
- Excellent organizational, research, analytical and independent problem-solving skills
- Team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, understand technical information and communicate it to others using clear, concise and user-friendly language
- Demonstrated ability to approach information management efforts from both technical and business perspectives
- Prior experience in programming in complex technical environments with an emphasis on health care
- Masters degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience with Agile (or similar) development methodology
- Experience with development processes and tools, such as Eclipse, version control systems, test-driven development and build tools
- Prior experience in a clinical research or health care environment is desired.
- Experience with facilitating group discussions and other collaborative efforts
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.