How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience directly related to this position.
Michigan Medicine is seeking to hire an industrial engineer with a significant track record in capturing productivity gains in a complex supply chain organization. The supply chain industrial engineer will report directly to within Michigan Medicine’s Material Management department to develop innovative solutions to solve critical supply chain problems. These initiatives will drive growth, lower cost, improve service, and enhance operational effectiveness. The candidate will oversee execution from initial problem identification to process improvement and project design through implementation and stabilization. This person will be adding a critical skill set to a team of dedicated supply chain professionals.
- Provide facility and capacity planning analysis for Michigan Medicine Supply Chain inventory planning and distribution activities
- Determine efficient utilization of resources by analyzing layouts, labor force, and equipment utilization using appropriate data collection activities and statistical analysis
- Map and document current processes
- Develop/Lead proposals and initiatives to achieve target productivity gains.
- Identify and develop business rules and standard operating procedures to streamline operating processes
- Establish operational performance metrics for business units
- Develop management and operational performance reports
- Develop and maintains cost estimates, forecasts, and cost models
- Coordinate and facilitate communication between clinical customers and operations
- teams focused on building and sustaining customer relationships
- Support cross-functional strategic or process improvement projects
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, or other quantitative field of study
- Minimum 2-5 years of experience in any of the following areas: distribution center management, materials handling, transportation management, decision support systems and technology.
- Working knowledge of supply chain technology
- Well organized with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to learn technical skills quickly
- Demonstrated experience with optimization and/or simulation algorithms
- Database skills, especially through SQL or Access
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Excel, and other MS Applications
- Warehouse Management System (WMS) and Inventory Analysis tools
- Demonstrated experience with mapping and simulation analysis tools
- Excellent communications skills
- Excellent technical skills combined with demonstrated interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Demonstrated experience preparing and presenting meaningful oral and written presentations to operations staff, management, and customers
- Experience applying Lean Methodology and tools
- Experience within Health Care Supply Chain and related technologies, PeopleSoft, MHS @PAR, Stanley RFID
- Experience with routing and scheduling transportation optimization software
- Ability to apply Lean Production System methodology and tools
- Experience with Tableau or similar business intelligence reporting tools
- Experience with SIMUL8 preferred
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.