How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration of this position and is to be attached as the first page of your resume. Please address, in your cover letter, your specific interest in this position, and outline the skills and experience you have that directly relate to this position.
The Patient Access Staff Specialist position leads development and support for complex access initiatives, including leading analysis of current state, identifying appropriate recommendations and solutions, partnering with team members to implement recommendations, and creating ongoing monitoring to ensure recommendations are adhered to, or presenting alternatives where appropriate.
The Office of Patient Experience is committed to promoting and sustaining the ideal patient experience through excellence in patient and family centered care. Each employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the empathy we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The Office of Patient Experience is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to ensure that Michigan Medicine maintains excellence in the safety, quality, and experience in care.
We are seeking a Staff Specialist Healthcare to oversee initiatives focused on improving the overall experience for consumers, patients, and referring providers, across the continuum of care. The Staff Specialist Healthcare will focus on managing current access work, leading new access initiatives across the entire outpatient system, and working with health system leaders to identify solutions to measure and monitor patient access.
The Office of Patient Experience seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse patients and families of Michigan Medicine, and to offer our patients and families and staff/faculty partners diverse perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning. This position will help OPE measure, monitor, and enhance patient access to develop a responsive, flexible organizational culture and to focus intensively and primarily on user’s experiences in a holistic manner.
• Work with OPE leadership to prioritize projects of systems and processes within access goals.
• Lead development of access road map, implementation and evaluation of business plan targets.
• Proactively integrate the philosophy and practice of lean thinking and continuous quality improvement to meet desired goals and metrics across the OPE.
• Lead in creation of KPIs for ambulatory access, including ways to build a quantitative impact-measurement and reporting infrastructure.
• Assembles teams, assigns tasks to team members, leads meetings.
• Develop business plan, implementation and evaluation of projects.
• In conjunction with leadership, play a lead role in building the necessary partnerships, relationships and support to achieve user-centered innovation & success.
• Ensure successful implementation of access goals with department leadership.
• Provides summaries, updates, and regular reports – and pro-actively identifies and raises issues and makes recommendations to leadership.
• Ensures adherence to project deliverables and alignment with institutional policies, standards and benchmarks.
• Responsible for the management, performance and completion of multiple concurrent projects and provides a single point of contact for those projects.
• Effectively communicates stakeholder requirements to team members and assigns tasks; communicates project progress to all stakeholders. Establishes and maintains an excellent working relationship with project or initiative teams and stakeholders.
• Effectively coordinates and facilitates planning and deliverables for projects and initiatives. Prepares written communications and presentations for a variety of audiences including senior leadership.
• Conduct analyses and execute plans for operational improvements
• Benchmarking patient access with external organizations and other academic medical centers, and leading the collaboration of those efforts.
• Providing in depth analysis of metrics and resulting recommendations for implementation.
• Monitoring and reporting outcomes of improvements and assessing if additional intervention needs to occur.
• Master’s degree in a related field, or working on completing degree in 2 years, and 3-5 years of directly related experience.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and respectfully with patients and families, staff, faculty and students from diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to lead teams and achieve results.
• Experience creating and developing business plan road maps in a complex environment.
• Strong relationship-building skills, including the demonstrated ability to build consensus among a decentralized stakeholder base. Strong team orientation and ability to manage in complex organizations.
• Time management and organization skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for frequent interactions and negotiation with internal and external stakeholders, including patients and families.
• Advanced analytical skills including ability to take complex problems, synthesis information, and quickly and efficiently provide recommendations.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively during a period of institutional change.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.