How to Apply
An attached resume is required in order to be considered for this position. Applications received without an attached resume will not be considered.
Brighton Center for Specialty Care
The Brighton Center for Specialty Care is the newest University of Michigan Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located at 7500 Challis Rd. Brighton, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Why join the Instrument Processing Team?
At Michigan Medicine, the Instrument Processors play a vital role while working within industry standards (UMHS/AORN/AAMI) to reliably decontaminate, prepare and provide sterile instruments and medical devices. You will join a creative multidisciplinary team that will assist various departments with their instrumental needs. We work with our Instrument Processors to become certified so they can recognize appropriate procedures for handling surgical instruments to ensure the safety of themselves and the patient. Working with Michigan Medicine will provide you with a growing opportunity to advance your career. We would love for you to become part of the team that uses world-class technology to keep our patients safe.
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Generous PTO program
- Tuition Support Program
- Precepting and mentorship opportunities
What skills would you be responsible for?
- Performing daily infection, prevention and control protocols to properly handle all instruments.
- Maintaining adequate supply of instruments and disposable items to meet the facility’s needs will be part of your routine.
- You will provide proper transportation of the instruments to the processing center as well as assembling and packaging instrument sets.
- Possess the opportunity to operate state-of-the-art equipment to complete effective high and low sterilizations.
- You will work individually and collaboratively on the quality assurance to maintain a high importance on the team's safety.
- You will function as a patient's advocate while being responsible for providing optimal instrument and equipment processing.
What are the qualifications?
- HS Diploma or GED
- Graduate of Instrument Processor Program including completed externship
- Assemble, package, and prepare instruments/instrument sets and other re-useable items
- Performs sterilization tasks including:
- Pasteurization (site dependent)
- Bring any matters questioning the sterilization process to the attention of management.
- Handles and distributes items according to practices for site (le case carts)
- Other duties as assigned
While the facility is open 24 hours, the shift will be Monday through Friday from 10:00am – 6:30pm. This position will be a pay grade 6 for the Central Sterile Processing Department (CSPD).
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
External Applicants: Please note that for the first phase of this posting, we will be considering internal candidates only in an effort to offer advancement opportunities. You are still able to submit your resume for consideration, but our process for external candidates will begin approximately 30-days after the posting date.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.