How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Accurately work with complex data sets, synthesize and summarize financial findings effectively, allowing for the identification of key issues, decision-making criteria, and the determination of strategies and plans.
- Work with customers and other stakeholders to identify analytic needs, gather, define and document requirements, execute analysis, document and communicate findings back to customers and stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a subject-matter curiosity to obtain details from operational partners regarding proposed business decisions that can be translated into commonly accepted decision support frameworks such as return on investment analysis, net present value analysis, discounted cash flow models or other commonly accepted techniques.
- Design, develop and recommend new approaches, methodologies and tools for data-driven decision-making and planning.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams evaluating strategic, operational and financial aspects of the clinical enterprise.
- Perform business case analysis, including the creation of financial models and analysis of business trends to support growth opportunities.
- Participate in special projects to improve reporting, analysis, and internal processes to achieve productivity improvements and customer service delivery.
- Partner with Business Unit leadership to prepare their detailed annual budget.
- Prepare and distribute non-standard management reports and operation analysis to ensure financial performance and operational decision-making alignment. Identification of reports and analysis that can be produced and accessed more broadly.
- Educate business unit management teams on P&L impact of business decisions.
- Point of contact for department customers to facilitate questions and information requests as necessary.
- Prepare ad hoc analyses and other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with emphasis in finance, healthcare informatics, computer science, or information science
- Familiarity with query writing software, querying relational databases, applying business process/data modeling, database design, and other analytical tools/techniques surrounding business and financial analytics.
- Problem solving capabilities including root cause analysis, process comprehension, development of alternative solutions, and recommended course of action.
- Strong communication skills – both oral and written. Ability to analyze large amounts of complex information to present simple and concise material to the appropriate audience
- Financial systems acumen, including considerable experience with MS Excel (Pivot tables, VLookups, etc.), statistical packages, and PowerPoint as tools for advanced analytics and communication
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet operational deadlines.
- Demonstrated understanding of key performance indicators, return on investment, product line analysis and proposal development
- 5-8 years of professional related experience
- 2-5 years of professional related experience
- PeopleSoft / Oracle / Hyperion experience
- Proficiency in SQL coding
- Ability to translate analyses into actionable information for decision making at all levels within Michigan Medicine
- Experience in a healthcare, higher education and/or academic medical center setting.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to improve the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally, and internationally. With annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion, Michigan Medicine ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country, and is committed to providing exceptional patient care, facilitating groundbreaking research and developing the next generation of physicians and scientists. Michigan Medicine consists of the University of Michigan Hospitals, the University of Michigan Medical School and its Medical Group, Michigan Health Corporation, and affiliated health systems.
Michigan Medicine Finance serves as the central finance group for the organization and is comprised of five functional areas: Clinical Financial Planning & Analysis, Enterprise Financial Reporting, Reimbursement, Medical School Finance, and Financial Systems.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.