UM-Dearborn is an inclusive, student-focused institution committed to excellence in teaching, learning, research and service, as well as access, affordability and metropolitan impact. Founded on more than 200 acres of the original Henry Ford Estate, UM-Dearborn was forged on the principals of practical innovation of its industrialist benefactor. UM-Dearborn offers its 9,100 students the opportunity for a transformative education aligned with the academic excellence of the University of Michigan and rooted in a deep commitment to metropolitan Detroit. Since its inception, UM-Dearborn has set itself apart from its peers through its diverse and inclusive campus community and its intentional, meaningful engagement with local industry, government and nonprofits.
The Institutional Advancement team builds lifelong relationships with alumni, students, faculty, staff, businesses, foundations and other community entities to help secure, manage and steward the partnerships and resources needed to advance University of Michigan-Dearborn’s mission. Included in Institutional Advancement is Alumni Engagement, Business and Foundation Engagement, Individual Giving and Campaign Marketing and Communication. All work aligns to support student success and the university’s four strategic pillars: metropolitan impact, deepening academic excellence, enhancing student engagement and achieving enrollment growth.
Victors for UM-Dearborn Campaign
UM-Dearborn is participating in University of Michigan’s Victors for Michigan Campaign, with its own distinct brand, Transforming Students: Powering our Region. It has received commitments from generous donors totaling $40.7M, with eleven months remaining in the campaign. While the success of the campaign is a responsibility shared by all university leaders across campus, the Institutional Advancement (IA) team leads the planning and execution of the campaign.
The Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement will work closely with the Director of Alumni Engagement supporting the departmental vision, programming and initiatives. This staff member will be involved in identifying, recruiting and staffing alumni volunteer committees and events, increasing alumni engagement opportunities and improving the connection our alumni have with UM-Dearborn. The position reports directly to the Director of Alumni Engagement, but will work closely with all members of the Institutional Advancement (IA) team and other key partners on campus as necessary.
The Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement provides leadership for increasing UM-Dearborn’s ability to engage alumni in the life of the university. This position works in close conjunction with IA staff and provides the support and coordination to enlist the help of our greatest asset—our graduates—as trained and well-supported volunteers. The key responsibilities for this position will be the management of the six Alumni Affiliate volunteer groups and the supervision and support of the Student Philanthropy Council, along with the coordination of all the groups’ activities and programs. More specific responsibilities include:
- In conjunction with the Director of Alumni Engagement and key volunteers, develop, implement, manage and evaluate a plan to establish a productive continuum of alumni and volunteer long-term engagement and commitment.
- Work with the six Alumni Affiliates in the development and implementation of annual programming plans and annual member nomination activities.
- Partner with the Director of Alumni Engagement in development and implementation of annual plans to create a strong culture of philanthropy surrounding UM-Dearborn’s Alumni Society Board and all alumni affiliates. Work with the Director of Alumni Engagement developing an annual strategic plan ensuring the department keeps the university’s mission and vision in front of the alumni community.
- In partnership with IA staff, serve as mentor and leader to the Student Philanthropy Council members and work with them to educate the campus community on the importance of philanthropy and encourage all students to stay connected with campus after graduation.
- In conjunction with the appropriate campus leadership, coordinate non-affiliate related alumni programs including, Martin Luther King Day of Service, Commencement activities, Alumni Day and alumni efforts in student recruitment.
- With campus Marketing and Communications team and the Director of Alumni Engagement, create and implement a social media campaign to help increase alumni participation across campus.
- Other duties and activities as assigned.
- A baccalaureate degree is required.
- 2-5 years of professional alumni engagement, volunteer management, event planning, development, or higher education experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to initiate, develop, organize and implement plans and motivate volunteers.
- Ability to interact successfully with faculty, staff and students alike.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written).
- A high level of sophistication and maturity in social and professional settings.
- A high degree of creative initiative.
- Experience with social networking tools (such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment.
- Discretion and an ability to interact with donors and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Comfort with personal computers and software programs for retrieving, organizing and researching appropriate donor/prospect information, as well as data gathering and manipulation.
- An ability and interest in quickly learning the University history, mission, demographics, faculty, current programs, departments, etc., as well as the University culture to be able to eloquently articulate how Michigan distinguishes itself from peer institutions.
- Ability to use web based tools to increase alumni involvement and volunteer management.
- Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic organization.
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet deadlines.
- Ability to participate in evening and weekend activities throughout the year.
- Experience with development focused CRM tools.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.