Here is your opportunity to work in a top-10 mathematics department. Work with outstanding faculty, assist undergraduates with their adventure through the undergraduate process, and serve as a staff member in a forward-thinking department. A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Undergraduate Student Services - Math Majors/Minors
- Serve as an initial point of contact for Student Services and provide service to current students, prospective students, and families.
- Serve as an expert in Business Objects generating regular and ad-hoc reports by creating and running queries on admissions, enrollment, student data, curriculum, and other aspects of academic affairs administration.
- Process deskcopies of textbooks; assist faculty with textbook orders by training them in using the online system.
- Process permissions.
- Assist with the Awards Ceremony and Commencement activities.
Administrative and Student Services Support
- Serve as the liaison with the Office of the Registrar.
- Serve as front desk person and answer telephones.
- Serve as staff support to Undergraduate Program Director and Associate Chair for Education.
- Gather data and statistics necessary to complete annual survey requests.
- Update Undergraduate website pages.
- Assist with MMSS and other projects as needed.
- Attend LUGS meetings and serve on external committees, as appropriate.
- Assist with Department events and facility issues.
The selected candidate will have at least a high school education and two to four years relevant experience. Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must for this position. The ability to work independently and to exercise judgment as a critical member of a team in an academic environment along with a willingness to perform a variety of tasks is required. Must have demonstrable experience using MS Excel and Word, database tools and software, and understand the importance of social media in the academic environment. The selected candidate should possess outstanding database skills with the ability to run querys and reports using University databases. Outstanding analytical skills are important.
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree and/or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Two to four years of work experience in an academic office is desirable. Experience using databases including the ability to create reports, queries, and use the database as a management tool. Knowledgeable of University of Michigan student policies and procedures. Basic familiarity with FERPA. Experience using M-Pathways, LSA MRS, and Business Objects a plus.
Higher salary possible for exceptionally qualified candidate.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.