How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the FLSA Exempt Intermediate level salary range of $56,538 - 73,500 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Intermediate level expectation. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser experienced candidates will be reviewed at the FLSA Non-Exempt Associate level salary range of $47,476 - $59,000.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for an OS Programmer Intermediate. This person will join the ITS Unified Communications team. This position is responsible for the network and voice communications systems and tools and will collaborate with ITS Infrastructure technical teams on production support, tool development and project efforts.
Reporting to the Communications Systems Operations Manager, the incumbent will develop, configure, test, deploy and maintain performance monitoring and measuring network tools for the Linux environment. The role will provide configuration automation for real-time systems.
This position requires someone who can work under minimal supervision while utilizing strong analytical and problem solving skills. Someone who will proactively anticipate and resolve problems, has experience in a role providing excellent customer service, demonstrates the ability to follow documented procedures and standards in a consistent manner and has the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
- Tactical planning, operational management and service delivery for Linux based systems. Develop and implement advanced system designs including server sizing, specifications and configuration. Configures, deploys, tests and maintains various network tools to include: Spectrum, Network Authentication (AAA), Intermapper, CA Spectrum and CA Network Flow Analysis. Develop documentation and deliverable plans for enterprise implementation and support.
- Mentors others on products and technologies. Duties also include overseeing the implementation, operation, maintenance, upgrades, backup/recovery, security, virus protection, spam protection, performance monitoring, supporting and problem solving in a large, 24 X 7 computing environment.
- Assists users with development and optimization of complex searches, alerts, data extractions, dashboards and reports from tools within the monitoring infrastructure.
- Provides design, development, integration and implementation of IP enabled real time unified communication systems, including, but not limited to: leveraging open source software and cloud based services. Participates in the development of diagnostic and test software for communications systems.
- Develops, tests and validates software solutions for unified communications systems to support the collaborative real time communication needs of student, faculty and staff. Delineates gaps between requirements and the capabilities of existing technology and resources and recommends proactive improvements / designs that are compliant with technical requirements.
- Actively coordinates with team members and service support groups to effectively resolve incidents, fixes and minor enhancements. Assignments include, but are not limited to: Coordination in the analysis, acquisition and installation of software; analyzing data and developing recommendations for efficiency, upgrades and replacement of communications systems; troubleshooting; upgrades; integration; and maintenance of systems. Communicates to ITS and customers on adherence to design and service architecture guidelines.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Building Relationship / Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrated ability to use formal/informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives, developing and maintaining smooth, cooperative working relationships. Demonstrated ability to address and manage conflict and offer constructive criticism and feedback in a positive manner.
- Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking: Demonstrated ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems. Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo. Demonstrated ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve complex problems. Plans and acts strategically, analyzing data and utilizing trend information.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying the style to fit the audience.
- Flexibility / Adaptability to Change: Understanding and accepting the need for change, cooperating in implementation and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives.
- Quality Service: Demonstrated stewardship in understanding and helping others to understand the impact of recommendations to both short-term and long-term needs of the organization. Develops strategic partnerships with customers based on in-depth understanding of the customer’s objectives/business.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field or the equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Basic understanding of networking concepts and protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS/DHCP, HTTPS) and related technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation and performance monitoring).
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with programming languages and scripting languages (Shell Script, Python, PERL, PHP).
- Familiarity with automation platforms (docker) and automation tools (e.g. ansible, puppet, salt, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot difficult issues and problem solving skills with a focus on process improvement and/or automation.
- Basic Linux system administration.
- Ability to manage small to medium projects.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in technical concepts via email, letters and in person to teams and customers.
- Proficient with various operating systems, applications and tools such as Linux, MacOS, Mysql.
- Experience with Network Monitoring System.
- Experience with DevOps.
- Familiarity with Containerization.
- Familiarity with SNMP.
- Programming experience in Python.
- A minimum of two (2) years OF Linux operations environment with some experience in design, troubleshooting, installation and configuration of systems in large environments.
- Experience working with data correlation, analysis and integration with upstream systems.
May require working during non-business hours and on weekends, may require travel to various locations on and off campus and may require on-call availability.
- This position may involve traveling to various locations on and off campus to troubleshoot and replace hardware.
- Post hire, the candidate must have a personal mobile communication device and home internet connection.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger's list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan was featured as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For" in the 2017 Chronicle of Higher Education.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.