How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job 154226 and PAs are directed to apply to job 154227
A total of two (2) 1.0 FTE Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
To be considered for this position, a cover letter is required and should be attached as the first page with your resume.
The Brighton Center for Specialty Care is the newest University of Michigan Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located at 7500 Challis in Brighton, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Anticipated opening of the new Brighton Center for Specialty Care is September 2018.
The Brighton Center for Specialty Care Ambulatory Diagnostic and Treatment Unit is a new clinic on the first floor of the new facility to become operational in Fall 2018.
The patient population for this new clinic will have a known relationship with a Michigan Medicine provider, and a defined problem that is able to be diagnosed and treated in an ambulatory unit in < 6 hours. The clinic is established to diagnose and treat a variety of conditions, including acute exacerbations of chronic conditions that may require extended time for appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Provides an extension of a typical clinic exam visit and serves to also reduce potential ED visits and ambulatory sensitive admissions. Patients will be referred to the new clinic by their provider/nurse triage based on established protocols. The clinic may also provide outpatient PICC line insertions for a variety of patient populations at a future date.
The Advanced Practice Provider (NP/PA) will provide support to the Brighton Center for Specialty Care Ambulatory Diagnostic and Treatment Unit (ADTU) and the Brighton Center for Specialty Care Infusion Unit. The primary role in the ADTU will be evaluating and treating established Michigan Medicine patients, referred by a Michigan Medicine ambulatory clinic or ED, who have an acute need that is consistent with ADTU protocols. Acute care is provided under supervision from the referring Michigan Medicine physician or under the supervision of the ADTU Medical Director
Patients seen in the infusion center may require management for general medical symptoms that arise during the course of the infusion treatment. The Advanced Practice Provider (NP/PA) will also lead the emergency response team for the ADTU and Infusion unit in collaboration with other colleagues and staff.
The standard hours of operation for the ADTU are Monday through Friday, 7:30- 7:00pm with extended hours for continued patient care as well as Saturday hours 8:30- 4:00 pm.
- Patient assessment/physical examination; diagnosis/treatment; execution of a plan of care; ordering treatments/supportive care. Order and interpret diagnostic labs, radiologic studies.
- Interact and communicate with referring physicians.
- Perform specified diagnostic/therapeutic procedures.
- Respond to infusion reactions
- Triage patients to Emergency Department/Inpatient Services, as appropriate.
- Dictate notes which summarize findings, interventions, and follow-up plans.
- Serve as a consultant to Infusion Center nurses and infusion ordering services.
- Provide clinical leadership and serve as a role model for clinical practice.
- Collaborate with other professionals in planning, implementing, and evaluating programs for increasing clinical knowledge/skills/operational efficiency.
- Attend conferences and continuing education/staff development programs to maintain medical knowledge specific to the patient population.
- Act as a patient advocate.
- It is also expected that the advanced practice provider will attend programs at University of Michigan, to enhance their clinical practice and attend regional or national meetings, as time permits.
- Roles and responsibilities may be periodically adjusted as determined by the needs of the Ambulatory Care Clinical Program.
This position is also posted in the Nursing job family under number 154226 or NP Applicants.
- A minimum of 3 years of clinical experience as an Advanced Practice Provider (NP/PA) is required.
- Advanced skills in assessment of patients with acute medical conditions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
NP Licensure & Certification Requirements:
- Graduate of an accredited NP program Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current specialty certification as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care NP, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and specialty certification as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan.
- ACLS Certification current or ability to obtain upon hire.
PA Licensure & Certification Requirements:
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission of Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- ACLS Certification current or ability to obtain upon hire.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- A minimum of one year experience in Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care or a similar setting.
- Five (5) years of clinical experience as an Advanced Practice provider.
- Participation in professional Advanced Practice Provider organizations or related committees.
Hours: 40 hrs a week
Shift: Day Shift
Location: Brighton Center for Specialty Care: (ADTU) Ambulatory Diagnostic and Treatment Unit
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.