Logistics, Transportation & Parking (LTP) is seeking interested individuals to work in support of various after hours University transportation services and research projects. These include an on-demand transportation service being piloted on north campus as part of the Reinventing Urban Transportation and Mobility (RITMO) research project ( ritmo.engin.umich.edu/ ) and SafeRide late-night shuttle services ( ltp.umich.edu/transit/after-hours ).
The primary responsibility of the MVO Service Monitor will be to monitor and dispatch the daily work of the various after hours University transportation services and supported research projects. The Monitor will be responsible for checking in staff, assigning vehicles, distributing required equipment and paperwork. They will be responsible for monitoring the late night transportation services and research projects, providing feedback to research teams and supervisors, instructing drivers on changes or other instructions needed while in service, correcting minor issues with software or hardware, and other duties as assigned.
The MVO Services Monitor will also be required to hold a valid Michigan Chauffeur's license or higher and will be trained to operate any of the late night services should the need arise. All staff should have a good working knowledge of campus geography, university buildings/landmarks, and common routes around campus in order to effectively manage the transportation of passengers to their final destinations.
Selected candidates will be expected to learn all duties associated with the position, including driving and monitoring duties. Candidates should be comfortable using a computer and common mobile technologies. On the job training will be provided to all selected candidates.
This position requires candidates to obtain and/or maintain a medical certificate and is subject to pre-employment and random DOT drug screens.
Because of the depth of responsibility surrounding all aspects of student transportation, the most desirable candidate is one who is reliable, has a professional demeanor, and the ability to learn the responsibilities of the job. Because the candidate will ultimately become a representative of his/her department, candidates must be friendly, courteous, knowledgeable about the service, and familiar with Ann Arbor and University Campus locations.
- Must possess, or obtain a Michigan Chauffeur Driver License before hire and have a good driving record.
- Must pass a DOT pre-employment drug screen and DOT physical.
- Monitoring will take place Monday – Friday, from 6:00 pm - 2:45am. Position may be staffed by multiple candidates to ensure coverage for entire period.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of Ann Arbor campus environment and map reading skills, be dependable, and have good customer service skills.
- Ability to operate a computer, smartphone, tablet and have basic computing skills.
- Ability to follow detailed procedures.
- Demonstrate flexible and creative problem solving skills.
- Must be able to pay attention to details of the trip and rider interactions. Must be willing to work with the research team on improvement ideas and provide feedback.Must be willing and able to perform work for any services/research projects within the department that utilizes MVO employees.
Licensure & Certification
- Must possess, or obtain a Michigan Chauffeur Driver License before hire.
- Must posses, or obtain a DOT medical certificate before hire.
Currently: Nights; Monday – Friday, 6:00pm – 10:30pm; Monday - Friday 10:15pm - 2:45am
Possible addition of Daytime hours in the future.
**NOTE: Your driver license number must be included in application to be considered.**
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.