How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Creative, part of the Office of the Vice President for Communications, is seeking an inspiring creative for a full-time role as a Senior Web Designer.
The University of Michigan’s broad academic excellence, history, diversity, campus culture and public nature make it an extraordinary institution as well as an enormously influential brand. This position will be part of the marketing enterprise and as such will deliver high caliber, award-winning, websites for the University of Michigan’s Office of the Vice President for Communications, as well as other clients across the University’s 19 schools and colleges and multiple institutes and centers.
The ideal candidate is a team player that is intelligent, collaborative, and passionate about beautiful design and trends in technology.
As senior web designer, your designs should be sophisticated, dynamic, and modern. Your concepts will communicate client business goals through creative means. Internally, you will have the opportunity to lead and promote your designs and techniques. As a collaborator, you will help raise awareness and help solve the unique challenges of modern web and application design.
- Provide expert creative guidance on the overall look, feel, and functionality of web design projects and related digital projects
- Conceptual brainstorming in visual and interactive design
- Designing primarily for digital & interactive (Think apps and web)
- Provide expertise to design team while communicating expectations, progress, and feedback
- Collaborate with the Creative & Development directors to maintain U-M brand standards
- Work with the account team to plan, scope and report on project status
- Build internal and external relationships, understand client visions, and present designs and concepts
- Meet with internal and external stakeholders to discuss and define digital objectives, and develop creative concepts to meet those objectives, as well as support overall digital strategy.
- 4+ years design experience in an agency or studio
- Excellent graphic design skills
- Experience in branding, print and digital design with thorough understanding of UI / UX principles
- Strong portfolio demonstrating excellence in ideation and design
- Strong team player and excellent communicator
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Prototyping (Sketch, Adobe XD, or similar)
- Reports to the Web Development Manager
- Works within the Office of Michigan Creative
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.