How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required; the cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume. The letter should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position.
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Include your current or ending salary.
Merit Network, Inc. (http://www.merit.edu) is a nonprofit, member-focused provider of network and related services; a trusted strategic partner to the education and non-profit community for over 50 years. Merit was formed in 1966 to design and implement a computer network between public universities in Michigan. Today, Merit continues to provide network based services and high-performance network connections to the research and education communities in Michigan and beyond.
Merit Network is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join our Product Management Team. The Senior Developer will be a part of a software development team providing software tools and applications in support of large-scale, high-volume services for the higher education and non-profit community (Examples: Merit RADb - http://radb.net/ and The Michigan Cyber Range - https://www.merit.edu/cyberrange/). The team creates applications, tools and integrations that enhance Merit's service offerings as well as to increase operational efficiency within Merit. The team works with internal customers in order to identify needs and solution requirements. The team builds technology solutions and manages each project from initial scope to release. Once released, the team is responsible for maintenance and will work with customers to periodically review and further enhance the tools. The team is also responsible for keeping Merit current with the latest and most useful technologies.
This position will be an excellent opportunity for a driven individual to push the limits of current web technology and experiment with a variety of techniques, in order to build robust, enterprise-level solutions.
The team’s current development stack consists of: Perl, Mojolicious, DBIx::Class (and DBI), Moose, Bootstrap, jQuery, AngularJS, and Oracle in a Linux environment.
Secondarily, the team also uses MySQL, PostgreSQL, Python and C.
Essential Functions for this position are followed by an (E).
As the Merit Senior Developer, this position’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Approximately 65% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Evaluating requirements for new web-based applications and enhancements to existing applications. This includes interviewing stakeholders and documenting requirements. (E)
- Designing, building, testing and documenting web-based applications and supporting back-end systems. (E)
- Working with APIs and other data sources to integrate with external systems. (E)
- Supporting legacy code and projects (with an eye to replacing them with modernized solutions). (E)
Approximately 25% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Trouble ticket response and resolution. (E)
Approximately 10% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Keeping abreast of new programming technologies; making recommendations on future technology direction. (E)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5 to 7 years of experience with systems analysis and programming activities in a business environment.
- Proven ability to deliver production-ready software on time and on budget.
- Fluency in Perl.
- Knowledge of shell scripting, linux system utilities, network and application protocols.
- Background developing in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl) environment.
- Solid SQL skills (MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle).
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task many small projects in a shared code environment (GIT/SVN).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels both within the organization and with Merit’s members and customers.
- Dedication to learning and advancing your skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot software and communications malfunctions.
- Solid understating of testing best practices and why testing is important.
- Object-Oriented Perl (Moose).
- Experience with NetSuite ERP.
- DBI and DBIx::Class.
- Mojolicious MVC framework.
- jQuery, Twitter Bootstrap, and Angular.JS.
- PHP experience.
- Python experience.
- C experience.
- Ability to apply CI/CD principles and tools to new and legacy platforms and applications.
- Experience with deployment automation.
- Ability to implement and maintain solutions for systems monitoring, metrics collection and alerting.
- Familiarity with containerization systems such as Docker.
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Travis CI, etc.
- Mobile app development experience.
- Knowledge of the networking or cloud services industry a plus.
- Experience working with higher education, K-12 educational institutions, libraries, research institutions and other public sector non-profit organizations a plus.
This position is being posted at the senior level, but we will consider filling it at the intermediate level depending on the qualifications of the preferred candidates.
Merit Network offers excellent benefits and wellness opportunities. This position receives 24 days of vacation per year, paid sick leave with provisions for extended benefits, opportunities for professional development, and retirement options that include TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments. Please visit https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness for full benefits information.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
- For additional information about this position and to review other current openings at Merit, please visit our website at: https://www.merit.edu/merit-careers/
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee (with or without accommodations) to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Employee must frequently work at computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and/or other forms of customer/client communication. Employee may on occasion be required to move items of various sizes and weights throughout the office or building.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, work schedule will be determined by supervisor and may change if necessary. There may be some occasional work required outside of established schedule, which may include weekends and holidays. Typical work schedule is 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday for most staff.
Travel may be required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
If you have any questions regarding this job, please contact: email@example.com
If you need assistance completing this application, please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.