How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position, and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the Senior level salary range of $67,692 - $83,973 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Senior level expectation. Candidates with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Intermediate level salary range of $56,538 - $73,500.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization has an exciting opportunity to employ an Application Operations Systems Administrator Senior / Intermediate within Infrastructure Applications and Operations.
This position will report to the Functional Lead of the University Administrative Applications team in the Infrastructure division. The University Administrative Applications team is primarily responsible for support and operations of the PeopleSoft Financial, Human Capital Management, Campus Solutions systems and Enterprise Imaging systems.
This role requires someone who can lead projects and delegate tasks according to staff experience and skill levels. Performs limited project management, including resource and time estimates. Participates in strategic planning and setting of technical direction for the department. Makes independent decisions that affect operations. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks and roles. Assignments require originality, ingenuity, assessment of unusual circumstances and variation in approaches used; use of different and unrelated processes and methods. Works on more than one task at a time and manages work effectively by prioritizing own assignments, schedules and meetings resulting in timely completion of work. Proactively anticipates and resolves problems, and creates conditions and processes to support change. Demonstrates proficient knowledge of principles, practices, standards, technologies and procedures. Comprehends and distills issues, identifies problem factors, determines appropriate information, checks assumptions against facts and generates solutions. Promotes cooperation and effectively manages relationships. Resolves problems and seeks assistance only after own attempts have been made without success. Works independently, requiring limited direction from seniored staff or management.
ITS is a large, complex organization that provides high-quality information technology and communication services for University of Michigan faculty, students and staff to help them excel in teaching, learning, research and administration. For more information about ITS, please visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
PRODUCTION SUPPORT (50%)
- Collaborates with development teams to coordinate releases and keep all infrastructure components in sync across multiple phases of environments (i.e., development, quality assurance, staging, test, production).
- Effectively prioritizes and fulfills service requests such as backup, restore, permission changes, patch application and testing. Provides basic system administration support for daily operations.
- Develops and updates procedures and guidelines to install, patch, configure, customize, troubleshoot, upgrade, integrate and maintain systems, software, network and port configuration, host-based firewalls and peripherals.
- Supports and collaborates with team members, software vendors and other technical staff on project efforts to achieve implementation plans and timelines.
- Review and monitor systems for availability, error conditions, adequate space allocation, backup integrity and performance to ensure system stability. Provide reports and capacity data to support metrics for hardware warranty, software licensing and asset management systems.
- Demonstrates quality service and accountability in the process of resolving requests, supporting daily operations and ensuring system stability that results in accurate, timely and efficient solutions and data as evidenced by meeting customer needs and meeting or exceeding established performance metrics.
- Proactively seeks information and utilizes analytical and creative problem solving skills along with standard processes and technologies resulting in secure and reliable connections to and use of systems, applications and infrastructure.
- Demonstrates accountability, relationship building, effective communication skills and quality service in the process of collaborating with, supporting, advising and educating customers and team members on the use of services, handling of sensitive data and resolving incidents and requests, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer needs, established performance metrics and efficient, effective and compliant use of services.
SERVICE IMPROVEMENTS (40%)
- Contributes to research and evaluates new enterprise technologies, processes and upgrades to Linux and Windows-based ERP systems by identifying when established procedures are not working and there are gaps in processes.
- Makes recommendations for improvements. Develops and edits customer and technical support knowledge base documentation.
- Collaborates with project implementation teams to architect and build infrastructure that complies with vendor requirements while meeting project requirements.
- Utilizes analytical and communication skills in the development and modification of written procedures, processes and technical support knowledge base, resulting in content tailored to the level and type of audience for support and issue resolution.
- Demonstrates relationship-building and effective communication skills through active listening, sharing ideas and frequent communication with co-workers, vendors and other technical staff members resulting in recommendations and development of administration best practices and procedures shared and used by team members.
- Develops comprehensive implementation plans and timelines of projects, providing status reports, exchanging relevant information with management and project teams and meeting timelines. Provides accurate time estimates for tasks, identifies impacted teams and notifies management of potential risks and issues.
- Researches, analyzes and resolves problems, providing root-cause analysis for various systems. Provides consultation, analysis and problem resolution to technical teams. Consults with software vendor support to research, identify and resolve problems. Reviews and monitors system components to ensure system stability.
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS (10%)
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services. This can include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
- Develops and follows best practices and procedures and shares knowledge with team members.
- Demonstrates skill development by actively participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement and applying new skills/knowledge to the job as evident by the ability to efficiently and effectively perform assigned duties, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer expectations and performance metrics.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills when providing training and mentoring to less-experienced staff, resulting in staff and teams using and implementing the latest policies, procedures and best practices to accomplish tasks.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING / STRATEGIC THINKING
- Demonstrated ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems.
- Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution, and develops action plans.
- Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably, and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to groups, varying style to fit the audience, actively communicating with those with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding.
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS
- Demonstrated initiative in participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to apply new skills/knowledge to the job.
LEADERSHIP / ACHIEVEMENT ORIENTATION
- Demonstrated behavior aligned with the values and ethics of the organization and profession.
- Demonstrated initiative in setting and measuring performance against goals and evaluating results.
- Demonstrated ability to understand what is expected to do the job well, function effectively in a team, achieve deadlines or milestones, accept accountability for mistakes, and take corrective action.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and seek direction or assistance as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business computing or a related field or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, analysis, problem solving and working independently to successfully implement enterprise application systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner, skillfully manage complex projects and stay up-to-date with the latest industry developments and best practices and apply the knowledge in the workplace.
- Demonstrated analysis and technical problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and information effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation and performance monitoring) for various systems.
- Familiarity with current computer technology and applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet and collaboration applications).
- Strong experience with more than one of the following technologies: PeopleSoft Administration, Perceptive Enterprise Imaging, Pinnacle and/or BMC Remedy.
- Strong experience with some or all of the following technologies: Linux scripting, Puppet, Python and/or Ansible.
- Experience using Cloud Services.
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required
- Must be able to remain stationary for a normal period of time, routinely moves throughout an office environment, and the ability to conduct a normal amount of work at a computer
- May require to travel to various locations on and off campus.
- Requires on-call availability and rotation outside of normal working hours and during non-business hours and on weekends
- May require to maintain own high-speed residential connectivity service.
- Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger's list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan was featured as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For" in the 2017 Chronicle of Higher Education.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.