How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) temporary job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 154425 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 154426
A total of one (1), Advanced Practice Professionals (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this temporary job opening.
- Michigan Medicine, regionally and nationally known for its commitment to providing high quality, patient centric care, is seeking an experienced Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner for an Acute Orthopaedic Injury Clinic in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. This clinic is currently planned to operate after-hours Friday through Sunday.
As a key member of the clinical team, the selected Non-Physician Provider (NPP) will be expected to treat patients autonomously and provide patient care in a fast-paced and exciting work environment. The NPP will diagnose and treat patients in the acute orthopaedic injury clinic environment and provide some service continuity to the remaining services under the direction of Orthopaedic Surgery Department faculty. In addition, the NPP coordinates care urgently with consultant services, recommends follow-up care, facilitates referrals to various internal and external facilities and participates in multidisciplinary continuous quality improvement initiatives.
Responsibilities include: obtaining a detailed history; performing a comprehensive musculoskeletal physical examination; presenting pertinent information to the medical staff; interpretation of diagnostic and laboratory tests; perform various therapeutic and minor surgical procedures; serve as a resource to administrative, nursing and medical assistant staff) staff on a daily basis; coordinate care plans as needed; administer follow-up to patients and assist in referring to various internal and external facilities; provide routine orthopaedic services effectively and efficiently; compile and record detailed narrative evaluations.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Nurses job family under number 154425 for NPs to apply.
NP Required Qualifications:
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current certification to practice as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner preferred. Will consider Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner with orthopaedic experience
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
PA Required Qualifications:
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Current CSL is required, or ability to obtain within 30 days of start date required
Required Qualifications (NP & PA):
- Current DEA is required, or ability to obtain within 30 days of start date required
- Experience with the recognition and evaluation of both non-operative and operative acute musculoskeletal conditions and NPP Orthopaedic surgery experience required
- Demonstrated experience in evaluation and care of preoperative and postoperative surgical patients.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and patient service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, problem solve, and delegate effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team member on the Acute Orthopaedic Injury Service and with other Orthopaedic Surgery non-physician providers.
- Demonstrated leadership in a professional healthcare setting and other professional activities.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants): You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Three years of experience as a NP/PA.
- Demonstrated active participation in professional development
- Attention to detail and organizational skills highly desirable.
- Some flexibility in work schedule will be necessary.
Anticipated clinic hours of operation are 12-8pm Monday-Thursday, 10am-8pm Friday- Sunday
Hours/Week: Variable as needed by the department
Shift/Hours/Days: Variable shift length, day-night rotation including weekends and holidays, shift length and hours may vary based on department needs.
Note: This is a temporary position without any guarantee of hours. Work could be offered intermittently.
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.