How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Medicine Finance is seeking a reimbursement analyst to provide support for cost report preparation, cost report appeals, audit preparation and other duties related to the regulatory reimbursement services of Michigan Medicine. The analyst will join the reimbursement team, and will assist the current reimbursement staff in duties including revenue recognition, cost report preparation, and various ad hoc reporting. The service delivery model will involve multiple interactions with Michigan Medicine leadership, affiliated hospitals, payers, outside agencies and government entities.
The reimbursement analyst will maintain current knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and other State and Federal regulations. The analyst also assists in the improvement of internal business processes and meeting future reimbursement service needs.
Ideal candidates are reliable and can successfully function with a high degree of autonomy. The position provides the opportunity to take on additional tasks to improve operational efficiency, make or prepare presentations, and represent the reimbursement team to multiple leadership levels within Michigan Medicine.
- Analyze and complete Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare and Blue Cross cost reports, settlements, audits and appeals; and maintain all documentation
- Utilize various financial systems to perform routine and ad hoc analysis
- Maintain current knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross, and other third-party regulations.
- Participate in and support Michigan Medicine and its affiliates’ initiatives and programs where third-party revenue/reimbursement advice is needed
- Assist with financial reporting, including monthly third-party payer accounting for net revenue and estimated settlements
- Assist in monitoring third party payments and perform impact analysis
- Prepare, monitor and reconcile reimbursement reports.
- Proactively work with payers and in-house resources to identify and resolve issues that hinder optimal and correct account payment.
- 5-8 years of professional experience
- Knowledge of health care finance or accounting
- The ability to work autonomously
- Problem solving and analytic skills
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent teamwork and customer service orientation.
- Strong skills in spreadsheet applications such as EXCEL
Preferred candidate will have experience in healthcare finance and preferably experience with Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross and Tricare cost reports and their various payment methodologies.
This position requires a Bachelor's degree preferably in Finance, Accounting or a related field.
- Knowledge of governmental and other third party reimbursement methodologies
- Experience working with electronic cost reporting software used by Medicare, Medicaid and Blue Cross
- Prior experience with an academic medical center, a healthcare system or large teaching hospital
- Working knowledge of Crowe Revenue Cycle Analytic (RCA) software
- Ability to present hospital facility month end financial data in clear and succinct manner to various finance leaders
- Prior experience as an auditor for a Medicare Administrative Contractor or other major third party payer
- Working knowledge or previous use of the Tableau reporting platform
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to improve the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. With annual revenues of over $3 billion, Michigan Medicine ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country, and is committed to providing exceptional patient care, facilitating groundbreaking research and developing the next generation of physicians and scientists. Michigan Medicine consists of the University of Michigan Health System (UMHS), the University of Michigan Medical School and its Medical Group, and the Michigan Health Corporation.
Michigan Medicine generates nearly $3.0 billion in annual patient care revenue from over 1,000 licensed beds and 130+ clinics. In the most recent fiscal year, patient activity totaled 46,000 inpatient discharges and almost 2 million outpatient visits. The UMHS and Medical School operate 80+ accredited GME programs which combined represents the 3rd largest program in the country based on number of residents and fellows. Michigan Medicine also receives nearly $550 million in annual research awards including several hundred projects each year in clinical and translational research.
Michigan Medicine Finance serves as the central finance group for Michigan Medicine and is comprised of six functional areas: Clinical Financial Planning & Analysis, Enterprise Financial Reporting & Forecasting, Academic Financial Planning & Analysis, Reimbursement, Medical School Finance, and Financial Systems.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.