How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. Your cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should,
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position, and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary will vary depending on the qualifications and the experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the Lead level salary range of $89,231 - $116,000 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Lead level expectation. Candidates with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at a Senior level salary range of $80,000 - $104,000.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization at the University of Michigan maintains a state-of-the-art network for the university and we have an immediate opening for an experienced, highly qualified Network Architect. Over the next few years, the University is replacing the majority of the core and distribution layer network components. Additionally, we are enhancing research networks in order to position ourselves to be even more competitive in this space. Future work will rapidly move us into the DevOps model, provide SDN capabilities and significantly increase bandwidth availability. At the same time the University is moving to the cloud for both administrative and academic computing which requires an individual with a deep understanding of cloud environments and interconnections in order to aid our transition, as well as ensure that future operations run smoothly.
This position involves traveling to various locations on and off campus to attend meetings, respond to outages and to install network equipment. Post hire, our Network Architect will need to have a personal mobile communication device and home internet connectivity.
The person filling this role will bear responsibilities to plan, design, optimize and ensure backbone/core network capacity meets current and future requirements for U-M. Testing new protocols and technologies, such as IPv6 and software defined networking and then develop a strategy for implementation; leading or coordinating projects or initiatives that include upgrades, troubleshooting issues and integration of software/hardware.
The Network Architect develops long-term strategic planning to ensure network capacities meet current and future network requirements including: analyzing the environment, planning for hardware and communications facilities, development and implementation of methodologies for system analysis, installation and support. Collaborates with business partners and stakeholders across ITS and U-M to understand, develop and set the overall technical roadmap and contribute to designing and implementation of all aspects of a secure and robust campus network, in the context of the larger picture of ITS and University goals and strategy. The architecture must incorporate scalability, availability, security, extensibility and maintainability characteristics. Leads the design of future networking including plans/specifications.
Provide tier III technical support and service restoration. Analyze, plan and implement maintenance, including backup and recovery strategies, software patches and upgrades. Mentors staff by actively coordinating with team members and service support groups to effectively resolve incidents, requests, fixes and enhancements. Monitors applications and other systems for availability, error conditions, performance and otherwise ensures services are fully operational and secure.
Responsible for researching and documenting emerging technologies and industry trends to determine strategic fit. Proposes new technologies and classifies them for use in the environment. Stays current with relevant advancements in technologies, makes cases for advances in current infrastructure based on technological advances, which can include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS / INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
- Respects diversity; demonstrates respect for the opinion of others; values each person's contribution to the team.
- Demonstrated ability to use formal/informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives, developing and maintaining smooth, cooperative working relationships.
CREATIVE PROBLEM-SOLVING / STRATEGIC THINKING
- Makes decisions based on analysis, experience, and input from others.
- Plans and acts strategically, analyzing data and utilizing trend information
- Demonstrated ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying style to fit the audience.
- Demonstrates advanced oral and written communications e.g. showing sensitivity to tone, audience and organizational/unit politics.
DEVELOPMENT of SELF and OTHERS
- Seeks to develop superior skills to accomplish mission critical objectives while maintaining a deep level of advanced knowledge of principles, practices and procedures used in the functional area.
- Presents to professional organization/units, other universities and/or private sector firms.
- Serves on national or international committees and working groups.
Physical Demands / Work Environment Requirements
Ability to work on routers, switches and similar equipment installed in racks at heights of no more than 8 feet and widths of no more than two feet, average mobility to move around an office and data center/telecommunications room environment.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience with designing networks, both IPv4 and IPv6, unicast and multicast; debugging software and troubleshooting networks; data center network architecture; and, scalable network design.
- Expertise with protocols such as OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, MPLS and EVPN/VXLAN.
- Expertise with Juniper and Cisco routers and switches, F5 load balancers and firewalls.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a project from concept to implementation and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience determining objectives and requirements; anticipating and solving problems; and developing standards and guidelines for network projects.
- Proven ability to lead project teams to meet customer expectations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply analysis and scientific methodology skills in troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable: computer operating systems; high level language programming; computer networking.
- Four (4) years of experience developing scripts or tools to manage network infrastructure.
- Experience with SNMP network management and network monitoring.
- Experience in dealing with security issues on servers and networks.
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet and collaboration applications.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience with Unix, MacOS and/or Windows based computers.
- Experience in project management methodologies.
- Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert - Routing and Switching.
- Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert - Data Center.
- Expertise with connecting to cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and/or Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience in the deployment of optical networking technologies (DWDM, CWDM, ROADM, etc.), long haul fiberoptic transmission technology, OSP infrastructure and fiber network providers.
- Knowledge and understanding of Software Defined Networks.
- Hands-on network operations experience in a multi-vendor environment.
- Broad understanding of Wi-Fi and other IP RF networks.
- Broad understanding of IP Collaboration technologies including SIP for VoIP and video.
- Broad understanding of virtualization technologies (VMware etc.).
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families.
Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 public university in the United States and 27th overall in a survey announced 09/27/2017 by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the No. 4 public university in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 annual list of the nation's best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan was featured as one of the "Great Colleges to Work For" in the 2017 Chronicle of Higher Education.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 3 by Money Magazine’s “Best Colleges for Your Money 2017/2018" which evaluated 711 higher education institutions on 27 factors within three broad categories: educational quality, affordability and alumni success.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.