How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Serving the U-M community, Custodial & Grounds Services are the stewards of the buildings and grounds that make the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan unique. Our employees are dedicated to the preservation of the academic and hospital campuses and pride themselves in giving exceptional customer service while conserving, enhancing and maintaining more than 26 million square feet of property.
As stewards for the outdoor properties of the U-M’s Ann Arbor Campus, Grounds Services provides horticultural and grounds keeping maintenance. Our specialized crews are dedicated professionals who pride themselves in caring for the university’s natural areas.
- Supervise work in progress to ensure that appropriate Grounds Maintenance methods, work schedules, safety and other work standards are being maintained.
- Direct personnel issues including, but not limited to, hiring, firing, coaching, discipline, and resolving issues related to union contracts.
- Continually develop and implement plans for the use of general and specialized grounds equipment and supplies and the purchase of new equipment to upgrade and improve efficiency of grounds operations.
- Maintain up-to-the-minute knowledge of industry literature and practice. Investigate and arrange demonstrations of state-of-the-art environmentally friendly equipment and practices.
- Review proposed landscape designs and confer with design professionals and other personnel regarding proposed designs. Provide professional and technical guidance on the selection, ordering, planting and maintenance of turf grasses and irrigation.
- Develop Grounds staff by identifying skill gaps, providing coaching and guidance, and conducting or overseeing the annual performance appraisal process.
- Lead the implementation of comprehensive ongoing training (orientation, best-practices, and safety) for employees.
- Review and approve time using Casper.
- Supervise assigned staff for Grounds Services.
- Implement and monitor Grounds work plans.
- Implement crew budgets and staffing according to work plans.
- Ensure timely snow and ice removal throughout the University campus.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 2 years of supervisory experience or 2 + years experience directing the work of others in a non-supervisory role.
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance equipment and vehicles.
- Pesticide certification.
- Valid driver's license and ability to obtain and maintain a CDL license.
- Experience with professional snow removal operations and equipment.
- Experience working with and/or supervising bargained-for staff (union).
- Involved with or a member of turfgrass and/or irrigation trade association(s).
- Knowledge in budgeting, cost estimating and scheduling staff and resources.
- Strong people management skills.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.