Call center representative in the West Shore Urology Call Center provides telephone communication services to a complex multiple physicians’ Urology practice servicing an adult/pediatric patient population in a call center setting. Representative is responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service while facilitating communications between patients, public, payers, referring physicians and other health care providers. Maintain excellent rapport, via the telephone and/or in person, with parents, patients, faculty, and staff, within a team setting.
Commitment to the Institution
Embrace every opportunity to show commitment to the UMHS values of respect, compassion, trust, integrity, efficiency, and leadership.
Comply with TJC and other regulations (HIPAA) governing conduct, safety, and patient rights.
Demonstrate knowledge and behavior that supports the mission of UMHS
Call Center Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule new and return patient visits determining appropriate clinic provider based on specified standards utilizing the Cadence/MiChart Scheduling System.
- Schedule clinic visits, diagnostic services and ambulatory procedures for patients.
- Adhere to set standards when entering comments into patient appointments.
- Complete work directives sent to the Urology Call Center MiChart in-basket and scheduling work queue.
- Perform telephone triage and distribute for action; document according to specified clinic standards
- Follow red call protocol when handling emergent phones calls.
- Utilize written communication skills accurately/appropriately when composing telephone encounters in MiChart e.g. composition, grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, etc.
- Mail out patient itineraries, letters, maps, and education materials as appropriate.
- Determine the existence of previous registration and obtain, verify and update insurance, financial and demographic information with the patient at every phone encounter.
- Maintain accurate PCP/referring physician information.
- Identify self pay patients and inform in advance of financial responsibilities and payment options.
- Identify patients who are potential candidates for M-Support and facilitate Patient Account Representative assistance.
- Notify patients of outstanding balance and copays at the time of scheduling.
- Inform patients of necessary preparations prior to visit or test in accordance with established guidelines.
- Maintain accurate insurance and authorization information using the Referral Authorization Management Process.
- Obtain managed care referral and/or authorization as needed.
- Utilize/master functions of the phone system
- Demonstrate understanding of Urology Call Center phone statistics; apply knowledge when setting personal performance goals.
- Handle multiple lines at any given time without disconnecting caller.
- Utilize equipment appropriately for muting when monitoring calls.
- Inform the caller when transferring a call and gives explanation.
- Announce all transferred calls to the receiver.
- Initiate follow–up calls to the caller in a timely manner.
- Place caller on hold only when necessary.
- Ask callers for permission to wait a moment.
- Ensure all messages are followed up within 24 hours.
- Meet or exceeds call center productivity standards.
- Follow set guidelines for signing on and off of Rockwell phones.
- Communicate effectively in ways that enhance productivity and build respectful relationships.
- Demonstrate active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Share relevant information with appropriate parties.
- Relate work and job purpose to UMHHC mission and commitment to putting patients and families first.
- Maintain customer rights in accordance with institutional policies by demonstrating respect for the individuality and wishes of others, honoring cultural and religious differences, and demonstrating ethical behaviors based on honesty, fairness, and equity.
- Adopt practices to improve work processes, enhance customer satisfactions, and ensure excellence in daily work.
- Assist in customer related issues by listening to customer’s needs, offering assistance, and ensuring patient satisfaction.
- Exhibit responsiveness to personnel at all levels by effectively communicating and sharing information at all levels.
- Respond positively to change, showing a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work.
- Serve as a liaison among patients, public, payers, referring physicians, other health care providers, and all other internal and external customers.
- Maintain confidential patient information
Self Development and Education
- Complete annual, required competencies at expected time.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge and skills.
- Set individual goals and adjusts accordingly.
- Pursue learning and self-development activities and programs.
- Utilize available time effectively
Utilize personnel, supplies, and equipment in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Supervision is received from a designated supervisor or manager.
- Administrative Supervision received from: Cristeen Bench, WSU Administrative Manager
High School diploma is necessary.
Knowledge of PC’s and desktop software with accurate typing speed of 50 wpm.
Basic medical terminology competency is necessary.
Demonstrated friendly, warm, articulate telephone manner with a clear, well-modulated speaking voice.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills are necessary.
Ability to manage stress effectively
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.