Responsible for several food service functions/operational activities (to include monitoring of activity levels to assure proper staffing) including the functional supervision of food service workers, kitchen cleaners, and stock keepers in the preparation, distribution, and service of food to patients of the institution. Special projects as assigned. Maintain/forecast/order food and related supplies, maintain proper sanitation and safety to meet OSEH, MDPH, TJC and other regulatory agency standards. Orient and train support staff. Assure compliance with ADA, EEO, and Affirmative Action programs and policies. Implement changes as required to improve services within assigned level of responsibility.
This position works 1 afternoon shift 4 pm - 8 pm. And two weekends 8:45 PM - 5:15 AM
In checking for accuracy, the Associate Supervisor will ensure that:
- All items listed on the tray ticket are present.
- All items are the correct version for the special diet of the patient (regular food vs. those modified for sodium, carbohydrate, consistency or other restrictions). Mistakes with diets such as a dysphagia may be life threatening.
- The portion size for each item on the tray is appropriate for the special diet.
- Special precautions such as those required for a suicidal or bariatric surgery patient are adhered to in order to prevent harm.
- All trays are presented in accordance with presentation standards, utilizing the proper service ware designed to be attractive and to maintain proper food temperatures.
- All trays are neat and clean.
In overseeing the routing of tray distribution which is much more complex in a room service program, the Associate Supervisor will:
- Load completed meal trays into meal delivery carts according to delivery “zones”.
- Enter tray ticket numbers into the CBORD Tray Monitor system as the meals are loaded into the carts.
- Start the timer for 10 minutes when the first tray is place in the cart.
- Once the timer goes off, inform/call the cart transporter to deliver the cart to the appropriate floor.
- Monitor time to ensure that meal cart leaves the kitchen at the correct time.
- When the meal cart leaves the kitchen, another cart is put in the correct staging zone, and the cart tag and timer is placed on the meal cart.
- Ensure that the meal cart for each unit is staged in the same location to maintain continuity in workflow.
- Communicates with cart transporters and room service associates to ensure the meal cart is delivered to units in a timely manner.
The Associate Supervisor will also place frozen dessert items (ice cream, sherbet, Mighty Shakes, and/or popsicles) into the delivery cooler, and flip over the tray ticket to signal that the item needs to be retrieved during the delivery process. For both tray accuracy as well as routing, the Associate Supervisor will work with Food Service Workers in the tray assembly area to continually maintain proper standards of performance.
Associate's degree in Food Service Management, Dietetics, HRI or equivalent or a combination of higher education and food service experience. Reasonable knowledge of methods, procedures, equipment, safety, and food handling principles and practices used in the preparation and service of food. At least one year of progressively responsible supervisory experience in a food service setting, some of which is with bargained for staff is preferred. Good oral and written communication and organizational skills. A customer-focused attitude is a must. Knowledge of Total Quality Management philosophies and techniques. Knowledge of/experience with reengineering/work simplification techniques. Must have completed and passed the ServSafe Certification in Food Service Sanitation within the last three years or within one year of hire.
Bachelor’s degree in Food Service Management, Dietetics, HRI or equivalent. Reasonable knowledge of methods, procedures, equipment, safety, and food handling principles and practices used in the preparation and service of food. At least one year of progressively responsible supervisory experience in a food service setting, some of which is with bargained for staff is preferred. Good oral and written communication and organizational skills. A customer-focused attitude is a must. Knowledge of Total Quality Management philosophies and techniques. Knowledge of/experience with cook/chill/rethermialization systems.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.