The Section of General Surgery and the Division of Acute Care Surgery (ACS) at Michigan Medicine is seeking qualified Physician Assistants (PAs) or Nurse Practitioners (NPs) to join our team. We are expanding our weekend and night coverage model in response to recent activity growth. The PAs and NPs support the faculty and resident ACS teams to provide patient care for adult Trauma and General Surgery patients, and adult and pediatric burn patients. This is a great opportunity for motivated professionals to provide patient care through diagnosis and treatment of surgical patients across a broad spectrum within the Michigan Medicine.
The Advanced Practice Professional (APP) will assist in inpatient rounding, planning, and coordinating of patient care. They will order/interpret tests, coordinate consultation, processing patient orders, and help with documentation. They will carry the floor pager for the shift. Outpatient clinic follow-up of patients discharged will also be undertaken. There will be opportunities to participate in minor surgical procedures, wound care, and therapeutic interventions. The PAs and NPs order and prescribe medications in accordance with statutes, rules and regulations of the State of Michigan. Participation in the educational activities of the ACS services is expected. This position will also offer the opportunity to collaborate with surgeons, nurses, and residents in quality assurance and performance improvement initiatives. These job duties may be modified depending on the needs of the Section of General Surgery and the Division of Acute Care Surgery
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Registered Nurses job family under number 154903.
Required Qualifications (NP):
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and certification as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan
- Current certification to practice as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
Required Qualifications (PA):
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
Required Qualifications for both NP and PA candidates:
- NPI, can be obtained post hire as part of credentialing
- DEA, can be obtained post hire as part of credentialing
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS), can be obtained post hire as part of credentialing
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team is required
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Experience with a multidisciplinary team approach to patient care
- Excellent computing skills
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position*
*New Graduate NPs and PAs will be considered for this position.
*Condition of hire for New Graduate NPs and PAs: Selected candidate must have required NP or PA certification and Michigan licensure before start of credentialing.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- One (1) year experience is preferred
- Clinical experience in acute care- trauma/burn
- Experience in surgery or emergency room/urgent care is desired
Hours: 40hrs per week
Shifts: Orientation and training to the service will take approximately eight weeks and will be Monday through Friday with shifts up to 13 hrs in length, between the hours of 5:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Upon successful completion of the training and orientation period, the schedule will include rotation to all aspects of the staffing model including nights and weekends.
*There will be shift premium for evening and weekend shifts
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.