Under direct supervision from a Registered Nurse or other designated supervision, provides direct patient care and assists in the maintenance of a safe environment that supports patient care needs.
- Obtains vital signs, temperature, height/length, weight, oxygen saturation and pain scores; reports abnormal values to RN. Obtains other measurements (i.e., head circumference, abdominal girth) per unit standard.
- Utilizes palpation/auscultation and Doppler to determine heart rate and blood pressure.
- Observes, monitors and reports the overt physical condition of assigned patient(s).
- Measures and records intake and output.
- Functions as a sitter.
- Assists physician/provider during diagnostic procedures; assists and supports patient before and during procedures; assists in specimen collection.
- Performs point of care testing; maintains and calibrates equipment and supplies.
- Collects specimens, including urine, stool, sputum and swabs, and performs urine determination including sugar, acetone, specific gravity protein, pH.
- Performs finger/heel stick blood collection and chemstick test.
- Initiates, maintains and records 24-hour urine collection.
- Transports blood and laboratory specimens.
- Discontinues peripheral IVs.
- Assists patients with, or administers routine personal hygiene including baths, oral care, skin care, umbilical cord and circumcision care.
- Performs preventative skin care, pre-operative preps, perineal care.
- Provides toileting/bedpan/urinal; remove/empty foley catheters; weighs diapers.
- Accompanies, escorts, ambulates, moves, turns, dangles, lifts, transports and attends/holds/positions patients.
- Assists with range of motion; applies rehabilitation equipment; releases and applies devices, ie wheelchair seatbelt, adaptive equipment, etc., in accordance with specific instructions, to position patients to limit movements.
- Provides patient nourishment by performing such duties as passing and collecting trays, providing snacks/beverages, assists with ordering meals/snacks; feeds patients.
- Double check breast milk with RN.
- Connects, drains and disconnects urinary catheters.
- Assembles intermittent bladder irrigation supplies.
- Discontinues urinary catheters.
- Applies condom catheter.
- Administers cleansing enemas that do not contain medication.
- Applies fecal incontinence bags.
- Cleanses and redresses non-sterile wounds.
- Applies binders, ACE wraps, hot and cold applications; provides soaks and special baths.
- Assist with tracheotomy care on stable tracheotomies including such duties as cleaning and redressing area; assisting with tape and tie changes.
- Assist with P&PD by holding the patient.
- Coach/prompt patient to use incentive spirometer, and in coughing and deep breathing.
- Measures and obtains TED hose; applies Sequential Compression Devices.
- Performs post-mortem care and transports deceased patients to the morgue/pathology.
- Responds to call lights and alarms; answer unit telephone and relay messages prn.
- Empties and measures drainage collection and emesis.
- Assists RN with admissions, discharges, and transfers.
- Provides skin care at the direction of the RN, applying select topical emollients containing medication (i.e., cortisone's, tar, silvidine, butt cream, and dermatology lotions).
- Initiates emergency care utilizing the ABCs, Airway, Breathing, Circulation.
- Transports materials, supplies, medications, specimens, patient belongings, equipment and medical records.
- Performs patient care comfort-safety rounds per unit routine.
- Assists with application and maintains restraints.
- Documents care provided.
- Stocks supplies and equipment in patient care spaces.
- Sets up patient rooms for admission or procedure.
- Makes up beds with linen, changes bed linens and linen hamper during patient stay.
- Maintains orderliness of the patient room and unit, including equipment/cords, linen, trash, patient belongings, etc.
- Cleans and maintains inventory and outdates of equipment and supplies in patient care spaces.
- Cleans assigned equipment and areas of work.
- Obtains, opens and arranges sterile instruments and supplies for specific procedures.
- Cleans, packs, sterilizes and stores instruments.
- Checks emergency equipment.
- HS diploma, GED or equivalent is required.
- Minimum 6 months recent experience as a Nurse Aide/Tech in a hospital setting, nursing Home or similar setting and/or has attended and passed a CNA course or is CNA certified, or, if a nursing student, has completed at least one clinical.
- Must be able to perform a wide range of physical activities which include moving, transporting and positioning patients and equipment as well as constantly positioning self to provide patient care and related duties.
- Ability to read and write is required.
- Attended and passed CNA course or CNA state certification desired.
- Recent experience in an acute care inpatient setting and basic computer skills is desired.
- Demonstrated communication skills both written and verbal is desired.
32 hour position
Shifts: DAY (7:00 AM - 3:30 PM) and EVENING (3:00 PM - 11:30 PM) shifts, (every other WEEKEND to work)
**Dual Unit Information**
Home Unit will be 8E.
The Tech may need to float to 7W (Adult BMT) based on either of the units staffing needs.
Holidays and PTO will be determined from the home unit (8E)
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.