To provide focused, quality care for a variety of adult medicine & surgical patients requiring acute nursing care for 8-48 hours.
Included among the patient populations serviced by these units are post-procedural patients and others who will require close observation, assessment and teaching.
To work as a nurse member of a collaborative, multidisciplinary team in a busy outpatient setting.
Assists with diagnostic/therapeautic procedures as necessary.
Provide patient and family education such as specific to procedure, diagnosis and how to care for self at home.
• Accountable for the management of post op patients and medical patients.
• Utilizes critical thinking skills to recognize and solve patient problems.
• Utilizes the nursing process and nursing standards to prevent or manage actual/potential patient problems related to their disease and /or treatment.
• Identifies patient /family learning needs and ensures that they are met.
• Serves as a patient advocate. Assists with care coordination between multiple departments
• Able to prioritize urgent surgical or medical issues
• Able to full fill the charge nurse role as well as coordinate vital unit operational functions
Communication and Respect:
• Maintains a highly professional and positive attitude regardless of workload and stress level.
• Inputs, retrieves and interprets data from multiple manual and computer based information systems.
• Exhibits professional and verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
• Able to delegate effectively and follow through appropriately and efficiently.
• Utilizes time in an efficient manner by completing assigned duties.
• Performs procedures in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner.
• Completes all other operational duties as assigned.
• Implement change to achieve team goals.
• Seeks opportunities to meet individual objectives identified on the Professional Development Model.
• Uses organizational skills to assure that safe, efficient care to the patient.
• Uses organizational skills to assure continuity of care in collaboration with other disciplines through appropriated planning, education and coordination of services.
• Delegates to other health care team members according to the Nurse Practice Act.
• Collaborates with medical staff to facilitate and optimize the care of the patient.
Research and Quality Improvement:
• Acts on behalf of patients and family to ensure care that is safe and appropriate with consideration for values, diversity and human rights.
• Participates in nursing and medical research and facilitates transfer of new knowledge to patient care.
• Familiarity with a variety of surgical and procedural procedures, medication, and what is current in literature
• Participates in the Quality Improvement Process.
This posting replaces #154232
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:
This UMPNC RN posting is posted as Nursing Framework LEVEL C.
Actual Nursing Framework LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire.
Nursing Framework levels range from Level A to Level E.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Current license to practice nursing in Michigan is required.
One (1) year (within the past five (5) years) of adult medical-surgical inpatient RN experience.
Documented ability to effectively communicated with patients, families and members of the health care team.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Hours/Week : 36 hours, Must have flexibility with schedule
Shift/Hours: Day/NightRotation; two (2) out of four (4) weekends per month
Location: University Hospital- Surgical Short Stay Unit
* Note: The SSU unit operates 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
All new employees will be expected to float to a designated unit(s) in times of low census.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.