Performs a variety of engineering assignments in work measurement for the establishment of standards. Plans and has oversight for utilization of production facilities and personnel in departments or other subdivisions of an operating room, post anesthesia care unit and sterile supply areas. Plans process workflow, and accident prevention measures to maintain efficient and safe utilization of resources. Plans and has oversight for work study and training programs to promote efficient personnel utilization.3-5 years professional experience. Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of particular field of specialization to the completion of difficult assignments. Usually works with minimum supervision, conferring with superior on unusual matters.
Analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action and have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance within the scope of their responsibilities. Primary activities and decision making authority are predominantly performed independently affecting business operations to a substantial degree. The scope of the responsibilities mainly consists of the operating rooms, post anesthesia care units, and central sterile processing departments in Michigan Medicine, referred to as the OR departments. The responsibilities of this position include:
- Applying a broad knowledge of lean and other engineering principles, and practices to the completion of difficult assignments.
- Performing a variety of engineering assignments in work measurement for the establishment of standards for the OR departments. This measurement may come from self-collected time studies or observations, and data analysis. Supporting development of standard tools and project management materials.
- Facilitating workgroups that center on process improvement. This role may be requested to act as a lean coach for a small workgroup.
- Coordinate and support the development of custom web applications with the purpose of improving workflow of the OR departments.
- Deploying applications within OR departments and their customers
- Development of simulations and metrics with the intent to hand off metric management to leadership after development.
- Planning process, workflow, and accident prevention measures to maintain efficient and safe utilization of the workplace. Focus on increasing the safety with the OR departments.
- Working closely with OR/PACU/CSPD QI/QA increase production quality, efficiency, or volume.
- Coordinating CSPD departmental databases for QI/QA reporting.
- Providing consultation to managers within Michigan Medicine related to operations and quality improvement. These departments may require regular reports that this position will provide.
- Mentoring student teams and less experienced engineers within the OR departments
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with customers of the OR departments
- Bachelor degree in Industrial Engineering
- At least 3 years of professional experience
- Experience in one or more programming languages
- Experience with SQL and database design
- Able to work with minimum supervision
- Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering
- 3-5 years of experience in a healthcare setting
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.