How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Perform periodic testing and documentation of the life safety and legally required emergency diesel and natural gas generators including the weekly, monthly and tri-annual Joint Commission testing.
- Perform periodic testing and documentation of the life safety and legally required emergency diesel and natural gas generators including the weekly, monthly and tri-annual Joint Commission testing.
- Perform periodic preventative and predictive tasks such as: monitoring and ordering diesel fuel, coordinating the diesel fuel tank cleaning or fuel replacement, coordinating engine wear analysis testing. Check and replace engine fluids, replace oil filters, fuel strainer and filter checks and replacement.
- Perform engine starting battery voltage cell resistance and conductance tests, back pressure regulating valve checks, check day tank operation, check diesel fuel pump controls for proper operation. Cleaning of fuel oil coolers, check and replacement of components and coolant in remote radiator systems.
- Perform accurate complex mechanical and electrical troubleshooting and repairs to engines, subassemblies, fuel systems, tank monitoring and leak detection systems in a safe and timely manner. Replace engine and fuel components including fuel pumps and batteries.
- Work with electricians in the testing and troubleshooting of paralleled generator systems.
- Review and provide input on new construction designs of generator systems including blue print and specification reviews.
- Provide in- service training to other employees on maintenance and repair of Emergency Power Supply. (Generator)
Candidates for this position:
- Should possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Should possess a two or four-year college or trade school diploma in diesel engines or minimum four years of equivalent industrial or hospital experience.
- Will need to be able to work in a noisy and hot environment with strong diesel odors.
- Will need to move heavy items.
- Must be able to fulfill the requirements to operate a UM vehicle.
- Will need to be able to wear any and all personal protective equipment including uniforms and electrical hazard rated safety shoes.
Desired candidates will be able to provide documentation and use approved forms for testing data for the Joint Commission, CMS, Fire Marshal, EHS and MDEQ. Any deficiency in the requirements of any inspection group must be communicated to the foreman immediately.
Desired candidates will have:
- Electrical Generating Systems Association (EGSA) certification - journeyman or apprentice level
- Experience maintaining 750-2000 KW diesel generators. Experience maintaining paralleled generator systems
- (UST) Class B Operator
- Motor Generator Institute (CHEPP) training and certificate or similar
- NFPA, ASHE, certification/ training in EPSS systems
Monday - Friday
5am to 1:30pm
Candidates in this position may be asked to work after hours as needed.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.