How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Surgery is currently seeking a part-time (20 hours/week) Administrative Assistant Senior to provide high-level administrative support to two of our research faculty. The work schedule for this position is relatively flexible, and will be established at the time of hire. The research laboratory, which is currently comprised of over 20 people, is located at the North Campus Research Complex. This position focuses predominantly on work associated with research therefore a person considering this position should enjoy all aspects of work related to the University of Michigan's research objectives. We are seeking a candidate who can exercise initiative, be comfortable with independent judgment, have strong diplomatic skills, and has a service oriented attitude.
Financial management- Monthly account reconciliation of non-sponsored accounts, including resolving issues with incorrect charging. Work in conjunction with the post-award coordinator to provide budget projections and spend plans using Excel. Perform Post Award Procurement procedures for ordering research-related supplies, including determining applicability and allowability. Reconciling p-card statements via Concur.
Prepare Human Resources paperwork and Visa requests for laboratory staff, fellows, and students. Serve as a resource for laboratory members, and help them resolve issues. Approve timesheets.
Research Support- Maintain CV's and biosketches. Meeting support as requested, which might include taking minutes, distributing information, preparing copies, etc. Maintain and update the website for the laboratory.
Calendar Management and Meeting/Seminar Coordination- includes exercising judgment on setting priorities for effective use of time and responding to frequent changes in the schedule. Coordinate numerous and complex meetings within the Department and/or with external entities. May involve on-site or off-site locations as well as teleconferences. Coordinate travel arrangements including air, hotel, and ground transportation. Coordinate seminars and other hosted events as needed.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- More than 4 years of progressively complex administrative experience in a laboratory setting.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and software including Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal skills. Competency in proofreading and editing.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple items simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Experience in handling items of a confidential nature efficiently and professionally.
- Ability to respect and protect confidential information, work in a team environment, build trust with other staff and faculty. Work independently.
- Under FLSA, incumbents in this position are nonexempt.
Knowledge of University policies procedures and regulations; Experience with University systems including Mpathways and MReports; Experience with End Note, knowledge of scientific terminology.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.