Responsible customer relationship position which will provide multimedia support in the Ypsilanti Health Center, receiving and responding to telecommunications and e-communications for a multidisciplinary health care team.
This position will assess the needs of our patients and providers utilizing the highest standards of customer service delivery. Work collaboratively with all members of the clinic health center team; physicians, registered nurses, medical assistants and clerical staff in the delivery of care to patients and families. Major areas of responsibility: Participate in continuous quality improvement initiatives which may include attending daily huddles and monthly clinic health center meetings.
- Basic clerical tasks that require proper customer services techniques, basic typing, computer and data entry skills.
- Confirms Referring Provider and/or Primary Care Physician information.
- Gather and verify patient demographics, insurance and other pertinent information.
- Obtain managed care referrals and/or authorizations.
- Provide patient with information regarding past balances.
- Maintains and tabulates appointment data as needed.
- Notify patients of appointment changes.
- Prepare patient itinerary and all other appropriate correspondence for mailing. Schedule/Reschedule appointments in Cadence and document. Initiate or follow up on messages in MiChart as needed.
- Utilizes the Ypsilanti Health Center Clerical Website to obtain and utilize information.
- Uses the Aspect Phone System and the MiChart Cadence System to schedule visits.
- Provide information, service and support to referring physicians, consumers, UMHS staff and faculty, and other healthcare professionals via multimedia communication channels.
- Coordinate patient and physician appointments and referrals.
- Communicate/collaborate with internal and external customers to ensure an integrated approach to service.
- Utilize superior telephone technique, customer service etiquette, customer recovery and e-mail/web communication skills to meet the individual needs of UMHS customers.
- Cover 2 or more service areas in the health center. Other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others.
- Documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Effective time management skills/consistently uses available time effectively.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues).
- May be required to work occasional overtime.
- Strong attention to detail. Works well with minimal supervision.
- Ability to pass a customer service quiz. Able to work in a fast paced customer friendly environment.
- Clerical experience, preferably in a medical setting.
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential.
Days/Monday - Friday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm (hours may vary) and rotating Saturdays 8:00 am - 12:00 pm.
Ypsilanti Health Center, 200 Arnet Street, Suite 200, Ypsilanti.
General supervision will be received from the Ypsilanti Health Center Manager and Medical Director. Functional supervision will be received from the Clinic/Call Center Leads.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.