The Patient Financial Experience Supervisor is responsible for overseeing Patient Financial Counselors in the call center, hospital and other areas within Patient Business Services. This position will supervise, monitor and improve day-to-day activities of the department. Supervisor must be a champion for improving Patient Satisfaction and a leader and driver in Patient Financial Advocacy
- Supervise the activities and day-to-day operations of the Patient Financial Experience call center, patient portal/correspondence and walk-in patient work
- Measure team and individual performance using key value metrics
- Prepare various daily, weekly, monthly and annual performance reports
- Monitor Aspect Real Time to ensure service level expectations are met and keep agents/staff aware of incoming call wait times, abandonment rates, etc.
- Monitor patient portal/correspondence activities to ensure all turnaround times are met
- Assist management with meeting performance goals and creating detailed plans to positively impact team performance
- Evaluate individual staff performance by utilizing performance scorecards to track staff productivity and quality
- Assist management in the development and maintenance of a departmental quality review audit
- Review and evaluate recorded calls and correspondence work to ensure quality standards are met
- Conduct regular 1 on 1 performance coaching sessions with each staff member
- Participate in disciplinary meetings and creating performance improvement plans for staff who are not meeting performance standards
- Intercede on escalated incoming telephone calls with customers and/or calls requiring in-depth knowledge of the organization’s services
- Facilitate supervisor calls by deescalating concerns and resolving patient and customer concerns
- Interview, select and train employees
- Attend meetings as needed or requested by management
- Develop, recommend, and coordinate the implementation of new procedures through a Lean in Daily Work structure
- Recommend and implement corrective services to alleviate customer complaints
- Communicate, implement and interpret customer service policies and procedures
- Approve requests for time off
- Create and maintain staffing schedules
- Ensure proper staff coverage on all shifts. May be required to supervise during off shifts
- Approves or disapproves the extensions of payment plans, refunds, adjustments, discounts, payment voids, etc.
- Review changes to patient accounts for accuracy ensuring any Compliance requests are handled efficiently and expeditiously
- Conduct quality review of cash drawer audits
- Evaluate and coordinate processes/activities to achieve expected volume
- Assist management with oversight of early out vendor
- Manage monthly statements and statement cycles
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrate and communicate vision of patient financial advocacy to staff, supervisor and others who impact the patient financial experience.
- Develop department goals, initiatives, Key Performance Indicators, management reports and scorecards that align with the ideal patient financial experience.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent years’ experience
- Three to five years’ business office/healthcare experience is necessary.
- Good presentation skills
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures is desirable.
- Afternoon shifts are required
- Occasional weekend shifts are required
- Ability to understand and resolve complex patient billing issues
- Knowledge of billing systems
- Knowledge of medical terminology and coding including CPT, ICD-9/10
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.