The Department of Pathology Division of Pathology Informatics, in tandem with the M-Labs Reference Laboratory Services Unit, are seeking an Applications Programmer Analyst – Intermediate, to support the Department of Pathology’s outreach clinical laboratory business. The successful candidate will possess the skills needed to conduct and coordinate the analysis, design, and implementation of internal service applications, which are intended to meet the internal and external data product needs of both MLabs staff, as wells as of its multiple customers. Specific emphasis is placed on the candidate’s ability to develop solutions that meet and exceed end-user requirements, including the generation of custom-reports and associated User Experience (UX) engineered solutions for the user interfaces supporting such data extraction products. Additional skills are sought for the generation of custom inter-enterprise electronic interfaces, along with activities supporting interface integration, as a member of a larger Lab Information System (LIS) integration team.
- Maintain existing custom applications including creation of customized PDF report with embedded images and templates
- Maintain and deploy custom source code
- Analyze data and provide custom management reports as needed including providing business intelligence analysis of data as requested
- Provide support for integration of outreach processes with Michigan Medicine and implementation of automated solutions
- Assist with the implementation of outreach interfaces to the LIS (laboratory information system)
- Test, validate, and document new interfaces, software changes, and software upgrades
- Provide off shift support when required
- Increase quality and service through relationships with internal personnel and external business partners
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal personnel and external business partners
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent and 3-5 years systems/software programming experience as well as 2-5 years of experience working in a large complex healthcare environment.
- Understanding of clinical laboratory workflow and work in a reference laboratory information technology environment.
- Experience supporting Lab Web portals products such as Atlas LabWorks, or laboratory information systems such as SCC Soft Computer.
- Experience supporting interfaces at a healthcare facility with working knowledge of HL7 messaging protocol.
- Experience with enterprise relational database management systems such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server.
- Familiarity with Visual Studio.
- Familiarity with socket-based programming in C, C++, Java, or C#.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.