Review CPT and ICD10 code selection along with modifiers. Provide narrative summaries of review findings. Educate coding unit Evaluation & Management (E&M) staff on code selection guidelines and research complex coding questions. Document outcomes via Policies & Procedures for department wide distribution. Create training materials, coordinate training sessions & present information related to Epic workflows, SuperCoder, MedAssets and Claims Manager utilization. Provide coding related feedback to managers, coders and clinical staff addressing inappropriate patterns of documentation as well as charge capture.
- Review coded data for inpatient and/or outpatient visits including detail related to provider documentation, procedure coding, diagnosis coding and modifier selection in accordance with established coding guidelines and UM instruction for assigned staff on a yearly basis and additionally per request
- Prepare review results using either Microsoft Word or Excel
- Meet with individual coders to explain review results and discuss coding implications
- Provide Epic workflow and coding training to new hires in the form of orientation and E&M code selection education
- Complete post hire coding reviews and apply coder accuracy rates
- Provide supplementary Epic workflow and E&M/bedside procedure training to existing coding staff using University Standard Practice Guidelines, CMS rules and other payer regulations
- Develop and present training materials to coding staff related to coding guidelines, Epic workflow, MedAssets, Claims Manager and Super Coder utilization using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Revise or write applicable Policies & Procedures related to Epic workflow and coding guidelines using Microsoft Word
- Respond to complex coding inquiries from coding unit personnel
- Assist with coding in the event of an unplanned emergency
- Model, support and reinforce a culture of service excellence
- Participate as an active member of Lean Thinking in daily work initiatives
- Protect the confidentiality of primary and secondary health records and the information therein as mandated by law, professional standards and Health System policies
- CPC/CCS/RHIT/RHIA certification
- Prior experience coding or auditing CPT and ICD10 codes as well as modifier assignment
- Ability to provide guidance and training to coding unit staff
- Demonstrated Epic proficiency related to work queue maneuverability and charge posting
- Basic experience with Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of legal, regulatory and policy compliance issues related to medical coding and provider documentation
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve and work independently
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
*Note that this position is located on site at KMS
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.