How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Why work for Michigan Medicine?
You will play an integral role within our institution, and are important to providing the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. Don’t hesitate – join our team today, and help us provide remarkable assistance our patients in the Ann Arbor area.
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- 75% Tuition Reimbursement
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Growth opportunities to higher seniority positions
- Management that provides quality training and direction
What skills will you master?
As a Medical Assistant in the Surgical Specialty Clinic, you will be dedicated to providing high quality health care services for children and adults. This is a unique position that will include care for both surgical and dental patients. In addition to serving as a Medical Assistant, you will also assist with front desk functions such as patient check-in and co-pay collection. In this role you will be responsible for:
- Performing patient check-in using MI Chart and MI Dent Systems.
- Assembling and maintaining patient paperwork.
- Collecting cash and credit card payments from patients using established guidelines to determine patient pay portion.
- Identifying and helping resolve operating problems related to patient flow, appointment scheduling and medical records.
- Assisting with downloading of outside radiology images.
- Assisting physicians, nurses, residents and dental students in the treatment and care of patients including a wide variety of chair side procedures.
- Performing preliminary patient intake including obtaining vitals, documenting chief complaint and entering information into patient’s EMR.
- Reviewing and updating MI Chart as directed.
- Following up with patients for normal and low complex test results as directed by provider.
- Maintaining instrument sterilization including knowledge of high level disinfectant and quality control of instruments.
- Inventory of medical supplies and re- order supplies/pharmaceuticals as needed.
- Assisting in telephone triage including prescription refills.
- Completing FMLA paperwork for patients and families.
- Contacting patients post operatively and provide complex instructions according to guidelines.
- Obtaining insurance authorization for medications and medical supplies.
- Reviewing and responding to in-basket messages.
- Setting self-management goals and follow up on established goals.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant.
- High School Diploma.
- 1-3 years of medical assistant experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical and dental terminology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, excellent ability to multitask.
- Willingness to work together to achieve exceptional patient care.
- Excellent attendance record.
- You will be required to do some moderate standing and walking, as well as lift, position, push, and/or transfer patients.
- Desired Qualifications
- Experience working within a large complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record.
- Knowledge of MI Chart.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position, and your schedule will be 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
1540 E. Hospital Dr., Ann Arbor, MI 48109. We are located in the VonVoightlander Women’s and Children’s Hospital – Clinic Building.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.