How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
University Human Resources seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Project Healthy Schools (PHS) provides a school-based program to reduce childhood obesity and its long-term health risks. Focusing primarily on sixth grade students, PHS aims to stem the tide of this epidemic by teaching youth healthy habits, partnering with schools to develop healthy school environments, and creating an infrastructure that supports program sustainability and replication. For more information, visit the program website at www.projecthealthyschools.org
Basic Function and Responsibility:
To plan, coordinate, implement, promote and evaluate programs and activities related to the Project Healthy Schools (PHS) program for middle school students, teachers and families.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead school personnel through implementation and sustainability phases of PHS program throughout Michigan.
- Provide training for school staff that are teaching PHS lessons
- Assist teachers with PHS lessons and teach as needed during absences
- Provide program materials for lessons to schools and organize items as needed
- Assist in development of school wellness teams and consult with teachers, parents and students on additional committees as needed
- Collaborate with school food service directors regarding promotion of healthy food and beverage options, and, where possible, incorporate local produce/farm-to-school initiatives and student feedback on meals
- Serve as the liaison between teachers, school administrators, and PHS program
- Communicate with school staff, administration, students and families regarding PHS via presentations, newsletters and other methods as preferred by schools
- Plan and coordinate school-wide physical activity and healthy eating activities and events
- Assist in the preparation and editing of program curricular materials as needed
- Develop new digital program tools and resources and refine existing tools as needed
- Collect, analyze and report on operational and evaluation data
- Order and coordinate supplies as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree in a health, fitness, education or nutrition discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in coordinating programs
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Demonstrated skill in writing education materials/curriculum/reports
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leadership and facilitation skills
- Experience with basic office and data-management programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and others
- Master’s degree
- Knowledge of health system practices, rules and regulations
- Experience working with middle school students and teachers
- Experience working with Project Healthy Schools
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Experience managing various social media accounts
- Fundraising experience
Travel to and from various school districts including the potential for overnight travel is necessary. Must have flexible work schedule and have reliable transportation to provide services as needed.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.