How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Appointment Scheduling: Able to accurately and efficiently schedule patients utilizing the Health Rx, Agility and MiChart systems. Able to identify the best available appointment type to meet the patient and clinic/provider needs and requirements. Able to ask and document the correct questions to assure accurate billing information is obtained and required referrals/authorizations are met. Shares outstanding balance information to the patients and/or guarantor. Able to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record system to obtain information as needed. Schedule OHS medical surveillance exams, physical therapy,
- Pre-Arrival/Arrival: Able to accurately check-in patients. Able to identify and initiate resolution for issues. Obtains appropriate signatures and any needed information (forms, waivers).
- Information Management: Utilizes Health Rx and Agility program to accurately and appropriately document patient requests including urgent medical problems, prescriptions, and other medical needs, and referrals. Routes patients to appropriate resources. Able to identify “red call” and “yellow card” situations and respond appropriately.
- Check-Out: Able to enter valid and complete billing information into the Agility system. Able to schedule appointments for physical therapy, work-related injury follow-up and radiologic exams.
- Communication/Telephone Skills: Adheres to established telephone management principles. Able to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record system to obtain information needed. Demonstrates good customer service telephone skills.
- Registration: Follows OHS protocols for verifying all patient demographic information at each patient contact. Ensures that any duplicate registration numbers are resolved by notifying the registration department
- Completes clinical forms.
- Assists with clinical procedures and respiratory fit testing.
- May perform complex diagnostic tests and complex specimen collections.
- Provides routine instructions for patient procedures and treatments, as delegated by providers and nurses.
- Uses different software programs to input patient information
- Conducts patient intake (e.g. documenting chief complaint, V/S, height, weight).
- Reviews and updates MiChart as directed.
- Patient follow-up for normal and low complexity test results as directed by provider.
- Assists providers with management of point-of-care alerts for services due.
- Patient instruction for durable medical equipment
- Provides patient care per MA schedule
- Processes prescription renewals as directed by a provider or RN.
- Medication administration per delegation guidelines or order for oral meds and injections.
(acetaminophen/Motrin, immunizations, PPD).
- Assists in setting patient self-management goals and follow-up on established goals.
- Chronic pain management tasks per protocol (e.g. MAPS report, generating drug screening lab requisitions).
- Vaccine inventory management.
- Orders clinical supplies and medications.
- Periodic travel to other sites might be needed for fit testing and any other indicated clinical procedures
- Training on the job for any OHS clinical and clerical needs might be required
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and 1-3 years of experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Excellent customer service excellence skills with staff, and employees
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Some clerical experience is necessary, preferably in a medical setting.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Occupational Health experience preferred
- Familiarity working with Michigan Medicine’s electronic health record systems.
- Knowledge of University policies & procedures.
Monday – Friday 8-5
shifts might be rotating. Training will be provided
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.