Brighton Center for Specialty Care
The Brighton Center for Specialty Care is the newest University of Michigan Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located at 7500 Challis Rd. Brighton, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Why join the Michigan Medicine Orthotics and Prosthetics Team?
As an Orthotic Fitter at Michigan Medicine, you will work within a diverse environment while fitting compression garments, orthoses and post mastectomy prostheses to improve patients’ lives. You will possess the ability to provide clinical instruction to medical residents, prosthetic and orthotic trainees, and other medical professionals. The Orthotics and Prosthetics Center at Michigan Medicine is one of the few University based facilities in the country that offers comprehensive services and has been awarded the maximum three-year accreditation by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Generous PTO program
- State of the art technology and equipment
- Tremendous team support
- Opportunity to conduct research relative to your work
- You will measure and fit soft goods including breast prostheses and gradient compression garments, as well as off-the-shelf orthoses, which require minimal adjustments to meet individual patient requirements.
- You will request assistance from a certified orthotist when significant adjustments to orthoses are required, such as heating, bending, cutting.
- You will conduct preliminary fittings, final fittings and adjustments.
- You may operate machinery such as sewing machines and occasionally use others as required.
- You will train orthotic residents in soft-goods and post-mastectomy breast prosthesis fitting procedures.
What are the qualifications?
- A high school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Completion of manufacturer courses and/or has previous experience
- Non certified individuals will be require and obtain CFo and CFm certification within one year of employment, (financial support from the department)
- Ability to work in highly computerized environment.
- Exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
- Enforce a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills; and proven ability to be compatible with a diverse population.
- Effectively work within a multidisciplinary team, handling multiple responsibilities in an energizing and fun environment.
- Demonstrate prioritization skills, proficient computer and keyboarding skills, and excellent attendance.
- Eligibility for, or certification as an Orthotic Fitter, CFo, and Mastectomy Fitter, CFm, by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics.
- Completion of an American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. (ABC) ?approved orthotic fitter pre-certification education course and/or has previous experience.
- Experience with use of an electronic health record system, preferably EPIC or OPIE.
8 am to 5 pm Monday-Friday.
Brighton Center for Specialty Care will be the primary work site. Occasional travel to the UM Orthotics and Prosthetics Center in Ann Arbor, MI will be necessary for covering other fitters, meetings, and other events.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together improve our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
External Applicants: Please note that for the first phase of this posting, we will be considering internal candidates only in an effort to offer advancement opportunities. You are still able to submit your resume for consideration, but our process for external candidates will begin approximately 30-days after the posting date.
Equal Opportunity Employer
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.